Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

How much of a nutty person are you ?

So I have finally moved into the new house after a 2 year wait and so have inherited a lot of old plants. Fruits, Nuts and a hell of a lot of trees. I am having difficulty confirming the plants and want to double check with people as nuts and berrys really are not my thing. Orchids are another matter. But for the time being lets stick with this. Below I have attached 7 pictures Top being number 1 last one number 7 any help with what they are and if they are edible would be great image 

One

Two

Three

Four

Five

Six

Seven

After this I have another 1500 trees to go through image

Many Thanks for any help.

Nicky

• iceice Posts: 332
    Seven is hazelnut. I love hearing the green cobs!
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Two is a Beech.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

1 is walnut, no doubt

but I don't think 5 is cotoneaster

In the sticks near Peterborough

Cotoneaster has clusters of typical rosaceae shaped fruits 

what haven't we done yetimage

• DaintinessDaintiness Posts: 988

1 walnut

2 beech

3 ?

4 medlar apple

5 ?

6 Snowberry

7 Hazel

• Wow very exciting to see what you all think of my little trees image looks like I no longer need to buy a bag of nuts at Christmas. Very excited also to try cooking something with the medlar apple, I had someone cook me a medlar tart last year and thought it a very nice flavour.

Does anyone think number 3 could be some type of bladder nut ?

Hi Nicky, re 3. Yes, looking at images I think you're right, but it's not one I'm familiar with.

Also

You'll have to be quick to beat the squirrels to the nutsimage

• Number 5 looks like holly to me

• I did see a red squirrel out in the garden a couple of days ago. I think there are plenty of nuts to go around. Should I start picking them now ?

• HCAHCA Posts: 129

3 is a bladdernut, Staphylea, don't know the species but probably either Staphylea pinnata or Staphylea colchica as these are the two common ones.

5 is a Holly, probably an Ilex x altaclarensis type which is a hybrid between our common holly Ilex aquifolium and Ilex perado but the parentage is a bit confused.  Hence the lack of spines on some of the leaves.

You can eat 1,4, and 7. 2 if desperate!

7 down 1493 to go, O what fun!