London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 15°C
16 messages
07/02/2014 at 19:44

just thinking, last year I got myself in a right tiz because I lost track of who got fed and how often. To keep it simple this year, I'm thinking of doing a blanket feed once a fortnight. Is this the right amount? What do others do?

There will be a variety of Annuals grown this year 

07/02/2014 at 19:45

Do you mean bedding annuals? In pots or in the ground?

07/02/2014 at 19:46

It depends on which annuals - some need more than others, some need none.  Which annuals are you planning to grow?

07/02/2014 at 19:47

I feed the soil once (with blood fish and bone) when I plant them. Then I leave them alone.

07/02/2014 at 19:49

Same as fidget.

07/02/2014 at 22:06

Hi I know it was kind of a open ending question. I want to grow in pots, snapdragons, dwarf dahlias, dianthus and swan river daisies.

just listened to GQT and they were talking about liquid seaweed to perk up leaf growth. Has anyone tried this?

07/02/2014 at 22:14

I found that dahlias are quite greedy on water in pots so I would assume they would need quite a lot of feed but different feeds at different growing times

not sure about the rest but I always add BF&B Tto my pots when I'm potting up and a sprinkle of grow more GP fertilizer

Clueless

07/02/2014 at 22:19

I really think it's important to look at your compost in your pot when it comes to watering them some pots will need water because of location,plant and size of plant so they same can be said for the fertilizer what I do is use a coloured marker  and add that colour to my calendar

Clueless

07/02/2014 at 23:14

Quite unbelievable.

The humble annual.  Please bear with me, before Mike goes forth on one of his mystery tours.  The humble annual. Take a look across the local fileds etc.  Thousands of annuals are growing, flowering setting seed..  Sorry folks. Mike has no intention of upsetting the applecart.  Can we perhaps come to an agreement.  The horticultural classified annual.  Lets be honest. Take a local weed. Cultivate it.  Save it's seed etc.  That's it.  The class of the annual.  It germinates, It grows, produces flowers, then seeds and dies.  All in one single season.  The Biennial.  This germinates, grows, produces seed after a season of growing.  Then once having seeded.  I dies. Then the perennial.  Seed is sown or naturally sown.  The plant gows, it might flower, however the main thing is.  Out of sight and mind, creation has diverted everything to developing a grand root system.  It is here that future generations of the plant depend upon.

07/02/2014 at 23:37

In containers I liquid feed with seaweed extract once a week.  Not too strong ...little less than recommended.

In the ground .....well I don't really grow annualsstop much in the ground preferring perennials....I would apply fish blood amd bone at planting time and that would be it.

08/02/2014 at 07:22
CluelessGardener wrote (see)

I really think it's important to look at your compost in your pot when it comes to watering them some pots will need water because of location,plant and size of plant so they same can be said for the fertilizer what I do is use a coloured marker  and add that colour to my calendar

Clueless

I like this idea Clueless, I'm a visual person and like colour reminders 

08/02/2014 at 12:01

Mark, not that it really matters if you're using them as bedding to be discarded at the end of the summer,  but the plants you're growing aren't annuals - I'm fairly sure that snapdragons are biennials and the rest are perennials. 

08/02/2014 at 15:46

Oh right, thanks for that news Dove. I'll get the hang of this gardening lark even if it kills me

08/02/2014 at 22:09

Oh dear.  Please believe me.  Since joing this forum, Mike has made many new friends, and believe me.  I value friends so much.. So Laddies and Gents, please dont take offence. What is it with all this pruning, cutting back and feeding?  Truthfully Mike is amazed that such concern exist.  Fair do's. In many instances todays, seeding, potting and general composts normally have added nutriments etc. To support the growth of the seed, the developement etc of the new plant.  Might I respectfully suggest.  Hold tight to your hard earned pennies.   Enjoy your garden, your plants.  When you see that a plant is struggling then pop out and buy some feed.  I admit this might sound harsh etc.  However I have gardened throw the ages...so to speak.   No offence my dear valued friends, but.  In all honesty.  The industry really does love you so much.  Please stop and think.  Does your garden really need all this feeding etc?

Mike sincereley hopes he hasn't offended anyone.  Just trying to help.

09/02/2014 at 12:43

I have to agree with Mike to a certain extent. 

I do feed the garden myself with liquid fertilizers, but not religiously.

Plants are made of tough stuff and will grow and try and produce flowers without much help.

I find being too kind with a plant tends to make it worse, from experience the ones I leave alone tend to fair better.

09/02/2014 at 13:48

Feeding depends on the state of the soil to a great extent. Where i have sandy soil, the nutrients get washed out and it need fresh feed each year.  Clay patches get a lot of compost to lighten it and I only add the feed when I plant perennials, then I leave it to get on with it.

email image
16 messages