Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

How quickly does a cyclamen coum grow?

Garden noobGarden noob Posts: 260

I caught the end of a plant fayre yesterday and bought what appears to be an end-of-the-day cyclamen coum. It has lovely flowers and beautiful leaf markings, but can only be described as pathetic in stature.

If I plant it in the garden can I expect it to beef up quickly, or is it destined to stay small and pathetic? 

I see it's recommended to grow under deciduous trees. Would it be okay in a pot on a North-facing​ patio? It's such a delicate plant that if would be nice to have it close to the house if possible. The patio is in shade pretty much year-round (but a rhododendron grows well, if that gives any context).

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

How big is the corm? I have some corms grown from seed that are about the size of a 50p coin. Others are the size of tea plates. You can grow them  under trees or in pots. In direct sunlight they dry out too much. They are coming to the end of season now, so they do tend to look a bit pathetic, but if you don't let it get bone dry, It should flower again next year .I have some in pots, I bring near to the house when in flower, the rest of the year they are in a shady spot. They are not good as indoor plants.

They are slow growing but the corm will get bigger each year. The seeds often bury themselves via the corkscrew arrangement and you get seedlings growing alongside, if the pot is top dressed with fine grit.

Last edited: 26 March 2017 04:50:35

• Diana-9Diana-9 Posts: 1

Can anyone tell me what plant this is imageimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

On of the rheums I should think. If you don't get anymore definite answer, start a new thread, the title of this one is Cyclamen coum. You need to start one called What's this plant or similar.

In the sticks near Peterborough