London (change)
Tue 9°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 9°C
6 messages
08/11/2012 at 18:18

Hi folks

does anyone have advice about how to feed an orchid without KEEPING it wet.  I like to water mine by letting the (saved rain) water drain right though and out at the bottom.  When the drips stop I then put it back in its saucer..... however... as I have a liquid feed,  when i use this to feed them, the nutrition will run off straight away?!?!  Know what I mean?

Any tips to keep the nutrition around the roots without having to keep them standing in liquid? thanks in advance

08/11/2012 at 19:06

Don't understand your problem.  Stand the pot up to the top of the roots in water with plant food added for about half an hour.  Drain, replace in saucer.

09/11/2012 at 13:10

I was given a very handy tip about the mix of the orchid potting compost - use the mix sold in garden centres, etc and mix with some sphagnum moss and perlite.

The moss holds on to some moisture and feed around the roots between watering.

But they also recommended having 1/2 inch of water/feed in the saucer at all times to give some humidity as well as allowing the roots to take up water when they needed it.

Seems to be working for me as my orchids are thriving for once!

09/11/2012 at 13:32

Great tip. I have 2 very sorry for themselves orchids. Will try that thanks Rhonsal

09/11/2012 at 20:26
I just happen to have been reading RHS about orchids this afternoon. As they like humidity (and they are not all the same so worth further research) stand on a 1 centimetre deep gravel bed which is kept moist. This is not the same thing as leaving the whole pot standing in water. It is quite easy to over feed orchids so a feed once a month is sufficient, I am told. Also they are mostly forest plants so enjoy shade and, lastly, they often need a bit of drying out or a bit of cooler temperature to stimulate flowering.
09/11/2012 at 21:43

I agree with Lottie, it really depends on the type of orchid you are growing.  Phalaenopsis seem to be the easiest in the home, I haven't fed mine or repotted or anything other than watered it in over 18 months and it hasn't stopped flowering!  Cymbidiums are a bit trickier and like a little cooler environment.  As far as feed goes its just a case of diluting orchid feed and watering as you have been doing they will take what they need.

I like the idea of rhonsal's to add moss, in their natural habitat they maybe found living on trees, rocks, etc as they are epiphytic.  You can almost visualise a tropical jungle with moss dangling from the trees and the roots of the orchids clinging to the moss cover bark. Its all about recreating that enviroment.  Good luck I've rambled on enough. www.alisonpike.com/blog/

email image
6 messages