London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 13°C
1 to 20 of 22 messages
09/07/2012 at 15:12

This is a picture of my neighbours Agapanthus which has been in the same spot for 25 years to my knowledge perhaps longer,it has never been fed, never watered and never moved-the only thing that has been done is the seed heads removed after flowering-by me

He is an utter non-gardener and probably doesn't even know what it is called-it is an old buried sink-so if anyone wants to know how to grow a successful Agapanthus this is it-total,total,total neglect

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/9760.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

09/07/2012 at 15:16

That's what I have been doing wrong: I keep noticing mine, so it dies ...I never thought of neglect!

09/07/2012 at 15:24

mine is like that.. they love to be compact in the roots and free draing so plug must be out then i have just gorwn some from seeds so rather pleased with that.

i find they do not need much care.. it got very rotten soggy leaves in may so i just removed htem all and now is going good.

09/07/2012 at 16:13

That's what they get in Madeira by the roadsides - total neglect and left to theit own devices like our foxgloves in the hedgerows and verges.

30/07/2012 at 23:29
Agapanthus like it hard, hot and deprived. Maybe like wallflowers? Took me long time to realise that they flower best when undisturbed and not fed. Prob best in pots, what do others think? Agapanthus here in Cornwall grow like weeds, in fact not far away we have fields of them and what a sight to behold
30/07/2012 at 23:56
I heard on GQT the other week that those in the know plant agapanthus in the ground still in its pot which the plant loves as it likes its roots to be very restricted. I have my agapanthus growing in a large pot, and every year it seems to improve as more of the pot is taken up.
31/07/2012 at 10:24

I've just treated myself to three agapanthus Midnight Star and planted them together in  one container - a shallow-ish terracotta bowl about 14" across - they look great and have already been adopted as the favourite place to hang out by one of our resident frogs.  Think he'll go underneath  the bowl rather than on top once this rain stops  

Although they've got plenty of room at the moment as the pot is quite wide, I'm hoping that as it's fairly shallow they'll soon feel 'pot-bound' and continue to flower well.

31/07/2012 at 12:18
My agapanthus are doing better than ever this year. I dug them up in late winter, stuffed them in a ferty bag, forgot about them, planted them in pots in April...
31/07/2012 at 13:37
The only real danger to agapanthus in pots is frost on the tubers.....so obviously, in frost areas take them inside. Even slight frost on tubers can kill agapanthus I understand. Here I leave them outside
31/07/2012 at 17:03

i think I hate you all (sorry jealousy is so unbecoming

Not a single flower from my one remaining pot this year. The other 4 pots didn't make it through the winter. For the last 10 years or so I have always had the most amazing displays , In fact its only got about 6 leaves on it. I was hoping it was just late - like everything else but after being in Somerset at the weekend where they are all going mad, I think it is just going to be a rubbish year for me this year. 

31/07/2012 at 17:15

Dovefromabove- my Midnight Star is a star this year! At the last count 10 flower heads all out.

All of mine are grown in pots & overwintered in either the cold, very, greenhouse or a coldframe. All the pots are well wrapped up, & covered with a couple of layers of fleece. The evergreen ones do lose the odd leaf, which get removed as & when, but this method works for me.

I only repot when absolutely nec & try to remember to feed a bit, but yes, no major problems. Am in NWest Sparkle, so if I can do it...... J.

31/07/2012 at 17:19
Sparklepinksunflower wrote (see)

i think I hate you all (sorry jealousy is so unbecoming

Not a single flower from my one remaining pot this year. The other 4 pots didn't make it through the winter. For the last 10 years or so I have always had the most amazing displays , In fact its only got about 6 leaves on it. I was hoping it was just late - like everything else but after being in Somerset at the weekend where they are all going mad, I think it is just going to be a rubbish year for me this year. 

Not to make you feel better but my white agapanthus has about 18 flower-heads-will post a picture ina few days to rub salt into the wound-and 3 weeks later neighbours is still going strong-he is on the move-I could nick it?

31/07/2012 at 17:21

Jo, I have never known a year like it. Actually thinking about it my one remaining pot was nursed back to health as at the begining of the year it was looking decidily dodgy  and i thought I might loose it too. 

Normally I can be a bit smug about my lovely warm sheltered conditions in London and how well everything does. It has truly come back and biten me on the bum this year. 

31/07/2012 at 17:23

yeah but I bet I have the biggest Spanish brown slugs  

31/07/2012 at 17:24

But could you eat a whole one?

31/07/2012 at 17:28

LMAO

trod on one the other day, it was so grim and trying to get if off the sole of my wellie was near impossible , so much slime 

31/07/2012 at 17:32

I found a slug the other day around 5 inches long-(sad case measured it)-it went into space.

31/07/2012 at 18:44

Urgh, dont even try treading on those. They get well & truely chucked over the fence onto non-maintained ground- in the hope that they find more rewarding things to munch over there rather than in my garden!

Daughter has just reminded me that the Midnight Star is hers! Hmm, since she doesnt yet have a house, let alone a garden, I think I can keep it a bit longer- phew. Anyway shall split it & down-size the pots when, & if, the time comes for her to demand it!

09/08/2012 at 12:46

My white agapanthus

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n627/thedogcody/2012_08090014.jpg

09/08/2012 at 14:09

I am loving the white ones.. i bought one alst year that was supposed to be white ... but it is blue.. gutted.. heres mine in the garden..

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/10709.jpg?width=900&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/10710.jpg?width=289&height=350&mode=max

this one is to show the size of the flower head against my boy who is 6.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/10711.bmp?width=900&height=350&mode=max

1 to 20 of 22 messages