Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

How to grow tomatoes from seed - Heinz 3402 variety

Grace74Grace74 Posts: 21

Hello 

I went to ASDA today and was chatting with the lady at the checkout re making newspaper pots for potting on plug plants and she suddenly offered me free tomato seeds which were being distributed in store last week. 

I was given a handful of packets and when I came home, I saw they were a Heinz 3402 variety. Tried to google info re growing it but not much out there. Ideally I'd like to grow it in a hanging basket but unsure if this variety is suitable. Second option is pots but def no space for growing in the ground.

Does anyone know anything re this variety and hows it best grown?

Thank you 

Grace 

Ps - I reckon their FB page has something but I've sworn off FB for a while now

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,032
    Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • BoaterBoater Posts: 241

You are missing nothing - the promotional period has ended so the links to the grow your own page are all broken and there are hundreds of people asking similar questions without answers as far as I can see.

• Grace74Grace74 Posts: 21

Thanks Busy and Boater

I'll sow them and then take it from there - maybe in pots as vine type

This would be my second attempt at growing toms

2 years ago I had a glut of green toms because I didn't realise I had to pinch off the tip to let the toms ripen after 3 ft of growth or so

theres a wealth of info here so I've been using the search tool in the GW site to get tips ????

• Grace74Grace74 Posts: 21

Ahh the ??? Arrives again maybe I should abandon ending my sentences with a '.'

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,032

I think the length and warmth of the summer is more important than pinching off tips. I live in France and I pinch off the tips of the tomatoes in the greenhouse when they hit the roof and they all ripen.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

I had some of the Heinz promo' seeds two years ago the packaging was slightly different, they were plum tomatoes best used for cooking, variety wasn't stated on the packet. They were okay but nothing special. 

• H3402 here:

http://www.heinzseed.com/new/hs_var_h3402.html

Just grow it like any other tomato plant.

• slimfast_2slimfast_2 Posts: 1

My Heinz Tomatoe plants