Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

How to propagate Rhododendron

CatieCatie Posts: 50
My Grandma has a beautiful Rhododendron bush that I'd love to take some cuttings from. How would I go about it? Would the only way be to layer some of its branches? And would the cuttings be exactly the same as the parent plant? Thanks in advance, Cate

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..layering would be the best option and yes they would be the same as the parent plant...as would the cuttings... for layering, it would be about a year before you could detach it from the parent... it should have rooted by then...

• CatieCatie Posts: 50
    Ok, thankyou. Would taking cuttings root any quicker?

Cate
  • BamboogieBamboogie Posts: 239

Hi Catie, yeah there's a reason why those rhodo's are so expensive at the garden centre - difficult and time consuming to propagate!

Only success I've had is air-layering, I choose 8 stems and 1 rooted! I left it 18 months before I was brave enough to remove it from mummy plant!

good luck!image

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Let us know how you get on Catie. I'd love to so the same and would be really interested to learn how yours get on.

• Are the Rhododendrons you see in the garden center easy to manage compared with the ones you see in the woodland which seem to be taking over at an alarming rate? i`ve always wanted one myself but worry it could take over.