Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

how-to-prune-a-giant-bay-tree

BriggsyBriggsy Posts: 71

Hi,

We have a very large bay tree with multiple stems - photo below.

We intend on building a large shed in the vicinity and will need to cut this back. Also I think a tidy up would improve it as it is stragly the top growth does not look to healthy.

Any suggestions on technique/when to undertake this task  would be appreciated.

• waterbuttswaterbutts Posts: 1,269

Bay trees are a type of laurel and are quite robust enough to take a pruning. Just cut off what needs to be cut off, being careful to trim the branches neatly and leaving no snags to collect infection.

Then wander the streets asking people if they want t buy any bay leaves.image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I like the last idea wb, I've got one of these to deal with as well.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • BriggsyBriggsy Posts: 71

Thanks waterbutts,

Is there a good time of year for such activity or are they happy what ever the weather?

I would choose a dry day if you don't want to be showered with water. I wouldn't do it when it's frosty or snowy (not likely in August).image

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

Late spring's best for pruning a tree. If you're looking to remove a substantial amount, best to do it over a couple of seasons. They grow like weeds here and are just about impossible to destroy when very young. Later, though, with some size, they don't react well to heavy pruning in one hit.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I can never find the right time for my bay, it's not been touched for years and is blocking the view from the landing window. Late spring is good for the bay but not for the birds, they think it's a block of flats. If I do it now there may be young regrowth that won't stand the winter. If I do it in winter I'm sure I'll upset it. So it's still growing.

In the sticks near Peterborough

I suppose it all depends on when your shed is arriving.

• Italophile - WHAT IS YOUR PICTURE????  I keep looking at it, but really can't make it out!  I just hope it's nothing rude!

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

DJ, it's my dear departed and much missed Old English Sheepdog, Dermott, eating. Here it is in full size:

He'd just had a haircut. Apart from his head.

• BriggsyBriggsy Posts: 71

Shed should be going up late winter, however I have taken a rumage into the foliage - not an easy task due to rose bush and brambles-  however it appears to me that atground level there is one very large thick trunk (12"+) plus there are dozens of small branches/stems coming up from the ground. I could probably thin these out without any ill effect on the main plant & then tackle the rest over several years to bring back into a reasonable and healthy shape.

I too have to consider the birds or in this case a pair or robins, they don't tolerate any other occupants and have the whole tree to themselves.

Thanks for the tips.