London (change)
Today 24°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
6 messages
02/04/2014 at 02:23
Hello I'm looking for some advice on how to take cuttings from a Lavender Stoechas/French Lavender plant - it's the plant with the butterfly wings at the tip of the flower? I tried taking some cuttings in Autumn but none of them took. However when I took cuttings from my Hidcote lavender plant, I got five fab cuttings which seem to be growing nicely. Is there a different way to take cuttings from the Stoechas lavender plant? Whereabouts do I make a cut? How can I tell what is new growth (sorry if that's a silly question)? Should I take a heel cutting? And if so, where from? I'm really grateful for any advice received. Stoechas seems a little bit more high maintenance than Hidcote! Thanks, Cate
02/04/2014 at 07:02

I think the method is exactly the same Catie - i'd try again later this year - sometimes cuttings are a bit hit and miss.  My stoechas ones worked, but i had to cover them with a propagator lid for a few weeks to stop them drooping - even though the books say not to do that with lavender.

02/04/2014 at 07:20

Hi Catie, i also tried cuttings from my lavender last year but they didnt take, as chicky said, its probably worth trying in a propogator. I instead bought a decent sized plant from B&Q fairly cheaply, but i might try a few more cuttings in a propogator this year.

02/04/2014 at 15:00
Thankyou, I might try again this spring. I was also thinking about layering some of the plants branches, so will try that too.
Cate
02/04/2014 at 21:18

Have you tried this method?  Toward the end of the season.  When the flower heads have seeded up.  Cut the whole plant/s down to just a few inches.  Then literally bury the lot under a layer of light compost.  When growth resumes.  You will find that practically every new shoot will be rooted, just seperate and pot up.  This method also works for many other bushy type perennials.

02/04/2014 at 23:28
Oh wow, that sounds like a good idea! Will definitely try that in Autumn. Thanks Mike.
Cate
email image
6 messages