Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

H.R.T.

ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

My favourite autumn plant fair is on this weekend - Aywiers at Lasne for anyone in Belgium - and I am intent on some top class HRT.

I'm looking for 2 or 3 shrubs to fill a 3m x 1.5m bed in full sun on all sides but shaded to the south by a 6' trellis covered in clematis in summer.   It's exposed to nasty east winds in winter but I will be putting up some windbreak fabric to reduce the impact.

They need to be hardy and not evergreen as they get killed in a very hard winter.  I already have several hydrangea pyracantha, hibiscus, several cornus, sambucus, weigelias, buddleia, philadelphus, deutzia, deciduous viburnum.

The soil is fertile loam over a clay subsoil and is alkaline.  Usual temp range is -15C to +34C but we can get much colder - enough to kill off evergreen viburnums, eleagnus, choisya, some conifers....

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
"The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
Plato

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Posts: 8,328

Hi Obelixx!  image

I grow Syringa protolaciniata 'Kabul', a beautiful ferny-leaved lilac, but it's very shy flowering for me.  Not enough sun, I guess.  It would like your alkaline soil, I think, and exposed position.

I think Syringa x laciniata grows a bit bigger, but has similar leaves. 

Since 2019 I've lived in east Clare, in the west of Ireland.
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Thanks.  I have a bog standard lilac out the front that does well - surviving root stock of a white grafted one that failed - but hadn't thought of trying another fancy one.   

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato