Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Huge push thing, what is is please

This sprouted in my yard on its own, no clue what it is looks like a bush maybe or a possible tree? Its been 1.5 years and no flowers yet that I have seen, its about 9 feet tall now. We live in Seattle.

• Hi image

That definately looks like a tree, but im afraid thats as much as i can say, qhatever it is it looks very healthy! I hope someone else on here can be of more help! image
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I wonder about some sort of poplar but there will be plants in Seattle of which a Fenlander knows nothing.image

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Hi Amanda

That does look like a Balsam poplar to me, I think you call them Cottonwoods in America. It might be a seedling but the speed of growth you wrote of suggests it is more likely to be a sucker from tree roots. Do any of your neighbours have Cottonwoods? Be aware that these grow very fast, they grow very big and they have vigorous root systems that have been known to damage foundations. Treat this plant with some caution.