London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
4 messages
19/01/2014 at 10:37

Hi all. Just need setting straight please. i bought this plant in full bloom and it was stunning, I just need to know how to care now. It states on the label no pruning. Fine I can do this but how do I go about dead heading and care!

it is currently in a pot on my decking in a shaded part of my garden!! do I feed, repot, just trim heads off just below flower head' it's all looking brown and yuk but it is alive!! 

19/01/2014 at 10:44

It's in pruning group one, see the link to the rhs

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=549

As for feeding, I'd just give it a small feed and refresh the top of the potting mixture.Too much feed and all you'll get is loads of new green and no flowers. It's still a bit early so leave till it starts showing signs of growth. Position is fine.

19/01/2014 at 11:41

I do it this way.   Now or during next few weeks in cold areas I remove the old spent flowerheads down to the next emerging buds....usually in pairs.   Really deadheading.

I also remove one or two old branches to the ground occasionally......Red, yours won't need this.

In a pot water it often and well during the growing season.  I would actually place a saucer under the pot.   I would leave well alone for a while re feeding.  I would do this when deadheading. 

Anyone growing the new breed of hydrangeas?  

19/01/2014 at 16:13

Thanks so will wait till warmer and look for buds! 

email image
4 messages