Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Hydrangea Seemannii

I have just discovered that where I would like to plant 4 hydrangea Seemannii (against a fence) is concrete under the soil.  Does anyone know if i can therefore plant them in containers?

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

Given the eventual height of the hydrangea and the size of container required it just wouldn't look "right".

The container would need to a minimum of two feet high ( to my mind) and, assuming a six foot fence height, you would be chopping off the growth at four feet.

SW Scotland
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,698

Probably possible, but not ideal - I'd rather find a way of breaking the concrete than commit to mandatory watering for the foreseeable future. Or see if you can plant a bit further out if the concrete only extends so far.

"What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour". 
  • FireFire Posts: 19,092

When I have Googled this plant, various nurseries describe it as preferring deep shade and others full sun. I am wanting to plant it in deep shade. Will it grow ok, do you think?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The critical thing is shelter. The leaves can scorch in icy weather, which spoils the look of the plant. For sure, you won't need four of these unless you were covering the entire side of a large building...

• Yo3Yo3 Posts: 4
    Bought seminii to grow up a fence and know they can take a while to get going but it’s been in 2years and hasn’t grown at all but still living. Any ideas?