London (change)
Today 18°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
5 messages
10/07/2014 at 09:48

i bought a hydreangea macrophylla back in march, it was in a pot and flowering beautifully, i know this isn't it's natural time to flower, i've put it in the garden, unfortunately it's been outshaded by geraniums ( hasn't everything in my garden this year?) it has some new leaves, it's been snail/ slug nibbled, no new flowers, should i not expect til next summer and what else shoukd i do to ensure it thrive s and perfoms well?

10/07/2014 at 10:59

Shade won't do it any harm rosemummy, they do well in shade part sun or full sun. They do like a bit of moisture at the roots so I'd mulch it feed it well. Prune out the flowered shoots next spring and feed it again and you should have few if any problems.

10/07/2014 at 13:55

This kind flowers on wood formed the previous season.   When you bought it it, it would have been forced into flowering early and is unlikely to flower again this year.   Give it a feed of bonemeal around the roots noow to help it form strong roots and shoots for next year's show.   Feed it some rose or tomato food next spring to encourage flowers.

11/07/2014 at 09:05

thanks, i just have a general granular food, is this ok or should i get bonemeal?

11/07/2014 at 09:43

A general food will also promote new growth which won't now have time to ripen and Harden before winter frosts so I would get bonemeal.

email image
5 messages