London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
8 messages
01/06/2012 at 11:57

We've lived in our house for 23 years and I've never once seen a daisy growing in the back garden.  I did try transplanting some from a friend's garden but they didn't take.

Anybody got any ideas as to how I could do it?  Maybe the soil is just wrong for daisies - it's just ordinary garden soil.

01/06/2012 at 13:49

Just a thought, I had some Bellis daisies in pots on the patio one year, I have had daisies in the lawn ever since. I do not use weed killer on the lawn either.

01/06/2012 at 14:10

Might see if I can find some Bellis daisies - or maybe it's the wrong time of year for them?  I'll check...........

I never use weed killer on anything - and I really would love to have daisies in the grass.  I'd love to be able to make daisy chains with my granddaughter - brings back happy memories of my childhood.

01/06/2012 at 14:48

A lawn can't really be called a lawn if there are no daisies.

I have a few patches of daisies, but they are only visible in places where the grass has not been cut for a while....

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab51/falcosubbuteo/daisies.jpg

The heads are perhaps 4 inches above the ground level, so if you cut the grass at all short or regularly, then you're liable to cut the flower heads off.

I wouldn't have thought that daisies are difficult to propagate or establish.

The RHS provide a service that lists nurseries that can supply any particular plant. There appears to be just one nursery that supplies daisies (Bellis perennis) by mail order.

It's this one: Arne Herbs

Putting Bellis in their search box finds the plant. They say:

"Native species detested by modern whatsit-retentive lawn enthusiasts, but deeply loved by Medievals."

You need to E-mail them to see if the plant is in stock. Or you could scrounge another plant from a friend or neighbour.

01/06/2012 at 15:03

My grass isn't kept very short so I'm afraid that's not the answer.

I've emailed Arne Herbs and will wait to see what they have to say. 

I'd like to have buttercups too!!!

01/06/2012 at 20:10
Supernanauna wrote (see)
....I'd like to have buttercups too!!!

Daisies and buttercups will co-exist in grass. This snap shows daisies and buttercups together with red clover, which is just about to come into flower....

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab51/falcosubbuteo/daisies-buttercups.jpg

02/06/2012 at 17:51

Try transplanting into a large pot to start with and let them go to seed. I have them coming up in the borders near  where they are in the lawn. I keep my grass mown regularly but it does not kill the daisies. I love them, my hubbie thinks I'm mad. I often pick a bunch just before I get the mower out, and have an egg cup full on the kitchen windowsill.

02/06/2012 at 18:30

Buttercups, daisys and clover remind me of my childhood too., I had forgotton that.. My husband is building a new rockery and found a crop of daisies in the grass, I laughed when he transferred them into his rockery..  He even loves weeds as long as they have a pretty flower but I do put my foot down about some of them.  If he likes them he can put them in a pot.

email image
8 messages