London (change)
Today 8°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 9°C / 7°C
17 messages
24/09/2012 at 21:33
Hello, I would like to grow my first rose, scent is quite important, it is a shaded spot, it will have to be grown in a pot as all I have is a balcony and I have a nice iron obelisk I would like it to grow up which is 150cm high . Hope that's not too demanding....... would really appreciate some ideas. Thanks guys.
24/09/2012 at 21:56

Try a repeat flowering  old rose, I have a couple going up my north facing pergola in large pots. Climbing roses Zephirine Drouhin and  Alchymist do well too in large pots facing north.They are both very fragrant and the first one is thornless too. Good luck!

25/09/2012 at 14:20
Don't mind the thorns too much. Are there any white flowering roses that would work for me?
25/09/2012 at 15:02

Go to the well known rose web sites and you will be spoilt for choice.

David Austin and Peter Beals are well illustrated and beautifully set out.

25/09/2012 at 22:41

Try this site- I was a total rose novice this time last year and it helped to find the right kind:

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=277#section3

26/09/2012 at 10:19

There is no other rose to compare with "Jude the Obscure"

26/09/2012 at 14:32

I have a rose  called Iceberg which is a climber and is white with a tinge of pink.It is robust and I have taken many cuttings and it flowers twice if you prune it in summer.I have one by my front door which gives that gentle scent as you go in and one in the back garden.very hardy and beautiful.

26/09/2012 at 14:46

flowering rose - sounds amazing - do you have a photo?!

Paul B - that has to be the best rose name ever

26/09/2012 at 20:50

I will have a look but if not have to wait untill next year.dashing to the album.

27/09/2012 at 16:03

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/12086.jpg?width=277&height=350&mode=max

this is side ways on(I am not very good at uploading)on mass this looks stunning.

27/09/2012 at 18:24

Have a look at David Austin's website. Some of his bush roses can be grown as short climbers and most are scented. I have a lovely pale yellow, fading to cream, rose called "The Pilgrim". It's growing in a pot and is in the shade in the afternoon. I mixed rotted horse manure with compost, filled half the pot (it's quite big) then topped up with compost. I feed it in Spring and again in late summer and it repeat flowers. The flowers are very double. It's also disease resistant and has fresh green leaves. It has a lovely fresh, not cloying, rose scent.

27/09/2012 at 19:25

There is one called the "generous gardener" that I grow in a pot for one of my clients. Its very pale pink, scented, and seems to like it in its pot! If she hadn't been given this one, we would have put an "iceberg" in. 

27/09/2012 at 21:46
Thanks for all the options guys is now the best time to plant a rose?
27/09/2012 at 22:18

If it's a pot grown rose you can plant it anytime, but if it's bare-rooted it's still a little early. David Austin is accepting orders now for delivery in November. Bare-rooted is a bit cheaper and easier to send in the post if it's mail order. Don't forget that if your rose is in a pot it will rely on you for regular watering and feeding.

28/09/2012 at 12:19

@ flowering rose - that is beautiful! A bit like my Generous Gardener, but not as pink - yours looks very happy and healthy

Here's a shot of my Penny Lane - pot grown (I put loads of bark chips on top of the compost to keep it moist) - it's about 3 yrs old now and is still flowering now (May-Oct). Scent is delicate but gorgeous. Open paler cream, with slightly apricot centre, turning darker as they age.

Love it

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/12109.jpg?width=288&height=350&mode=max

And here's a close up of a white shrub rose Pure Abundance in my raised flower bed (I have very heavy clay loam and roses love it)

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/12111.jpg?width=512&height=350&mode=max

Have fun choosing Matt

28/09/2012 at 13:31
jatnikapyar wrote (see)

Try a repeat flowering  old rose, I have a couple going up my north facing pergola in large pots. Climbing roses Zephirine Drouhin and  Alchymist do well too in large pots facing north.They are both very fragrant and the first one is thornless too. Good luck!

I saw a Zephirine Drouhin in the GC this morning and bought it on your recommendation. 

29/09/2012 at 15:41
That pure abundance looks fantastic! Think I might ry that now, so many to choose from. I'll have to just get them all.
email image
17 messages