Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

ID on climber- is this black bindweed?

DMGDMG Posts: 11

Hello

I was wondering if anyone could help id a mysterious climber that's growing with my peppers in the greenhouse please?

Is it Fallopia Convolvulus? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallopia_convolvulus)

I don't think this is anything to worry about, but it is growing like wildfire in there and while it would make a nice climber for out the front I think I should get rid of this, unless others think differently?

Thanks!

Duncan

• Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 4,172

Yes I would say it is bindweed remove it or it will take over but try to get as much roots out as you can

Hampshire Gardener
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Its definitely a bindweed but unless you have planted  black bindweed it is more likely to be hedge bindweed with white flowers. Calystegia sepium (larger bindweed, hedge bindweed, Rutland beauty, bugle vine, heavenly trumpets, bellbind) (formerly Convolvulus sepium).  GET RID AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, WITH AS MUCH ROOT AS YOU CAN.

Most convulvulus look the same until they flower.

• DMGDMG Posts: 11

Thanks for the feedback - this isn't in the same league as the dreaded knotweed I presume?!

I certainly didn't plant it, this was all compost from the council as well!  

The container has some pepper plants in it, which are growing happily - if I remove the plant can I then wait til the end of the season?  Should I just throw away the soil when it is done?

If its compost from the council it is most likely hedge bindweed.image Thats where I send all mine ( in the brown bin) along with any other nasty perennial weeds like docks, dandelion roots, enchanters nightshade, nettle roots etc. They're not going in my compost bin and risk spreading them even more. I've got enough to cope with thanks.

Makes me think twice about being "eco" and buying council compost in future (£4 a bag, not cheap!) 

I'll rip it out and then throw away the soil at the end of the year, thanks.

Keep cutting it as low as you can every time it appears. That way you should get your peppers ok.  I would then put the whole tubfull in the brown bin at the end of season to avoid spreading it around.

It will regenerate from any tiny bit of root.

The council compost heaps are supposed to get hot to kill anything like this. In your case it would seem not hot enough.

• you could also paint some glyphosate onto the leaves of the bindweed and it should not harm the peppers, if you paint raither than spraying.

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

This why we don't buy the compost from the council as most gardeners will only put in there the material that they cannot compost at home - including perennial weeds like bindweed, dock etc.  They do not get it hot enough to kill the plants, and this is - for you sadly - the results of that.  Avoid it, and buy a well sterilsed compost, or make it yourself if you can and have the space.  

We do have several compost bins down the bottom of the garden but we only moved in last year so there wasn't any ready and the quality of the soil in the rest of the garden wasn't great.  

It never occurred to me that it wouldn't have been sterilised, will be avoiding it from now on though!