London (change)
Today 12°C / 6°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 7°C
9 messages
12/06/2013 at 13:45

Hi

We have this tree in our garden which has the top cut off it I am guessing a couple of years ago (we moved last autumn) it is about 12 feet at the top of the trunk. I assumed in the winter that it was dead but now its gone mad and we have millions of little ones popping up all over. 

It also has what I assume is IVY growing all the way up it and that is taking over  

Could you ID please and tell me if either is worth keeping :-/ 

12/06/2013 at 13:58

Picture needed. I dropped the crystal ball earlier.

12/06/2013 at 14:01

Doh !!! 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/25352.jpg?width=428&height=350&mode=max

12/06/2013 at 15:30

This could be a Sumach, they produce hundreds of new plants from their roots.

12/06/2013 at 15:38

That's willow coming in from the left and the bulk of it looks like an ash. Millions of little ones is what they do best but seedlings not suckers as in the sumach. Can't remember the name of that species of ivy. Someone will, it's not Hedera helix

If you have something for the ivy to climb up and you like it then keep it, it's rampant, cover anything. If you want another ash, keep one, it's a big tree eventually as you can see from your stump. I think if yiou're going to cut a tree and keep the stump to grow again it looks best cut to at or nearly at ground level but that's a personal choice.

12/06/2013 at 15:39

Which bit is it? The bit on the left looks like willow.

12/06/2013 at 15:51

sorry. Yes I the the willow. Its the tree on the right I'm interested in and the ivy. 

12/06/2013 at 19:47

Cannot see any Ivy in your pic.

Please can you add further clear close up pics to this thread.

13/06/2013 at 07:11

Totally agree with Nutcutlet - the big tree is an English native Ash (they do seed all over the place but just hoe them out in their first year and you won't have any problems).   We have two mature ones in our garden - it's a shame yours has been topped rather than had the crown thinned properly.  It would be good idea to get a good arboriculturist to take a look and see if there's anything he can do with it and give you an estimate, either for turning it back into something attractive or removing it.  Of course, with Ash Dieback on the march, you may decide that as it's no longer an attractive tree you may as well have it taken out properly now rather than spend money on 're-modelling it' only for it to succumb to the lurgy.

The ivy may be Gloire de Marengo (hedera canariensis) - a bit hard to tell from that distance.  When you've decided what to do about the ash you'll have a better idea about what you can do with the ivy - it can be kept under control and is decorative and provides a good food resource for insects (flowers) and birds (berries) as well as nesting sites for robins and blackbirds, and some attractive Christmas greenery for the house. 

email image
9 messages