Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

ID Please & Advice

Doogie72Doogie72 Posts: 62

Hello,

Can anyone help me identify the plant int he attached photo.  as you can see it's taking over part of my new garden.  Can anyone offer any advice how I can tackle it?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

Russian vine. Polygynum baldshuanicum.

It's a thug and can grow 8m in a year.

Devon.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

I think it's now Fallopia b.

Devon.
  • LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Is the roots in your garden or in a hedge on the other side ?
  • DorcasDorcas Posts: 159

Definitely looks like Russian vine.  Not called 'Mile - a - minute' for nothing.  Never water it and hack it back hard every year and you might just tame it a little.  Difficult to get rid of without applying a heavy duty weed killer as it grows from rhizome.

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 8,352

I planted one of these once - in my very first garden. It was to 'soften' & cover a long, 3m high,  rather lovely, old red brick wall. It certainly did that & very quickly too...

So (much) older & (not necessarily so much!) wiser now -  and there were so many better choices that could have been made - beautiful roses, jasmine, honeysuckles, wisteria, ivies etc etc ...image 

Still, at least I didn't plant rampant bamboos like the previous owners of this garden image

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Doogie72Doogie72 Posts: 62

Thank you all.  Sounds like I have a bit of a brute on my hands.  I cut the hedge it's growing over yesterday (which I'm assuming is box) and where this weed has grown over it it has died  back quite a lot.

Still at least I now know what i'm dealing with.  It's not going to be an easy job to erradicate the Russion Vine, I think at least part of it is growing from the field next door. I think I will settle with taming it - it is afterall reasonably attractive - just need to get it under control!

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

If the hedge is still alive it's a survivor.

I wonder if it's Lonicera nitida rather than box, somewhat similar leaves and a more likely choice of hedge in that sitruation. I can see some bramble there as well.

If it is L. nitida it will take a very severe haircut and grow back, provided it's not too far gone

Good luck

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Doogie72Doogie72 Posts: 62

Thank you nutcutlet.  I think you may be right about the hedge.

Yes there are brambles mixed in with this lot - and stinging nettles and (I think) loganberries too!  Needless to say it's going to take some time to sort it all out - along with the rest of the garden.

We only moved in last year and getting to grips with this garden it going to take some time so I'm tacking bits of it at a time.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Best way Doogie. We took on a very overgrown garden, Some might say we've still got oneimage

One strategy that worked well was to plan where shrubs/trees were going and clear enough space to get them started. Then when you're really getting in there you'll have shrubs already established

In the sticks near Peterborough