Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

ID please

Can anyone help identify this please? My Dad got the original from a cutting years ago, and propagates it each year. It's not hardy so he grows it in pots and brings it indoors in the winter (SE England - the photos were taken today). He says he thinks it's from the 'lavender family' but from the leaves I don't think that can be true. Neither leaves nor flowers have scent. The flower spikes are about 8 cm long.

Thanks

• It looks a bit like an orchid. Its very prettyimage

• One of the salvias?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

They don't look like orchid leaves

It's the wrong side of the glass for me though. I can only ID hardy plants

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • No cutlet you're right, I didn't notice the second pic. Sorry 

• Lovely plant! I think the family is Lamiaceae, lavender is also part of that familyCould it be a Salvia

• I thought the same as Dove by the shape of the flower. Wouldn't mind that plant myself, its unusual and very pretty.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,340

I'd put money on salvia.

I have a similar one salvia amistad - if you google it you'll see exactly the same flowers, but mauve.
    Bought mine in spring this yr at about 18", now nearly 4' and although it looks a but battered now, still covered in bloom!  A really stunning plant - just hope it survives the winter. I gave it a good 4" mulch a couple of weeks ago.
    Good luck!

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Calendula that is lovely, another one on my wish list...image

• Thanks for all your replies - it is beautiful, isn't it? The flowers are a pale mauve - I had the flash on on my phone which makes them look whiter than they are. I think you are all right - a salvia of some sort. The leaves have a darker, almost red underside. They do look like the the amistad one but websites say this is a very new plant - my Dad has had it many years - and that it's hardy which this isn't.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,340

Perhaps your Dad discovered itimage

RHS lists the hardiness as follows- 

Resilience Hardiness

H3 (half hardy - unheated greenhouse/mild winter)

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.