Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

ID Please

Lorna95Lorna95 Posts: 436

Does anybody know the name of this plant, I was given it, they said it was a grass but I have seen something similar but it says it's a bamboo.

I get's about 1 and half foot, it has spread just in one year.

Would I best in a pot as it spreads.

Any info or idea's would be great.

Thank you.

• AngieRAngieR Posts: 347

Might it be a Carex?  I used to have one similar called C. Everest.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

It looks like the grass known as 'Gardener's Gaiters' to me. Invasive, just like the bamboo

In the sticks near Peterborough

Garters is it MU? I had gaiter in my mind but same difference

image MU

Don't touch it Lorna. image

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I've always called it Garters too. In any case - it's a right b***er!  image

I've never been tempted to grow it MU. I've seen what it can be like in other gardens.....image

I think it always resembles a bamboo's  habit , nut. It runs like mad if it likes the location.

Last edited: 23 April 2017 19:47:10

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Lorna95Lorna95 Posts: 436

Right just googled what was suggested and that is it, I do like it but I don't want it getting out of hand, do you think it would be ok in a large pot. weather permitting it will be coming out tomorrow.

Thank you everybody for your help.image

• B3B3 Posts: 27,476

It's quite well-behaved in improved heavy clay

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Lorna95Lorna95 Posts: 436

Thanks B3, Think I will have to take it out anyway, I have only had it a year and it has spread quiet a bit.

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,546

I planted it into my 'Dell', a shaded boggy hollow, and it it went mad and over-ran the whole space in the first year. Looked lovely, all waving green and white. But it ran out of steam very quickly, and after 3 years there was hardly any left!

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Posts: 8,328

I planted it in my last garden, under an old copper beech tree where almost nothing would grow.  It kind of survived, and gave us a bit of interest under the tree.  I wouldn't dream of planting it in the open though.

Since 2019 I've lived in east Clare, in the west of Ireland.