London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 10°C
4 messages
DPL
18/09/2013 at 13:42

Hi,

Does anyone have any ideas for a climbing plant to place at the end of my north facing garden?  The spot is a bit shaded by some leylandii tress just behind it (to the north) and a shed to the east.  Ideally something that will provide bright colour throughout the summaer and brighten up a dingly area of the garden.  Maximum height of around 2.5 metres and around 3 metres in width would be ideal.  Preferably something that will grow quickly too.

Thanks in advance.

18/09/2013 at 15:05

How about a climbing hydrangea? Fairly unfussy as far as I know and quite slow growing - by the time it started exceeding your preferred size it would be really well established and you could prune to fit.

18/09/2013 at 15:17

What is it going to be climbing up? The shed or the cupressus or something else such as a trellis? Not a climber, but something tall that will take a bit of shade and a bit of dryness and has white flowers and bright red berries is the Guelder Rose.

DPL
18/09/2013 at 15:35

Sara 4 and waterbutts, thanks a lot for the ideas.  I am planning to put a trellis in place for the plant to climb up.

I am thinking the hydrangea would work well as we already have some at the other end of the garden. Ideally I would cut down the leylandii  but sadly we need them for privacy.

email image
4 messages