Start a new thread

1 to 4 of 4 replies

Hi,

Does anyone have any ideas for a climbing plant to place at the end of my north facing garden?  The spot is a bit shaded by some leylandii tress just behind it (to the north) and a shed to the east.  Ideally something that will provide bright colour throughout the summaer and brighten up a dingly area of the garden.  Maximum height of around 2.5 metres and around 3 metres in width would be ideal.  Preferably something that will grow quickly too.

Thanks in advance.

Sara 4

How about a climbing hydrangea? Fairly unfussy as far as I know and quite slow growing - by the time it started exceeding your preferred size it would be really well established and you could prune to fit.

What is it going to be climbing up? The shed or the cupressus or something else such as a trellis? Not a climber, but something tall that will take a bit of shade and a bit of dryness and has white flowers and bright red berries is the Guelder Rose.

Sara 4 and waterbutts, thanks a lot for the ideas.  I am planning to put a trellis in place for the plant to climb up.

I am thinking the hydrangea would work well as we already have some at the other end of the garden. Ideally I would cut down the leylandii  but sadly we need them for privacy.