Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Ideas for Hanging Baskets

SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447

Good morning everyone. After reading Verdun's comment on best and favourite geraniums I searched google for some of the varieties and found this website:

http://myhangingbaskets.com/Flower_hanging_baskets.htm

Although it's from the US and is actually more about pelargoniums (some people still mix them up image), it give some great inspirations on what to plant in a hanging basket. Just thought it might be of interest to some of you. It's certainly given me some ideas for my hanging baskets this year.

• flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

I still like the new small clematis for hanging baskets.

• SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447

I don't think I've ever heard of them, Rose. Have you got a name for them so that I can look them up? Thanks in advance.

• Caz WCaz W Posts: 1,353

I loved the picture of a fern in a hanging basket for a shady corner.  This year I'm hoping to have a basket of tomatoes (well, I've just sown the seeds).        

• Jazzy2Jazzy2 Posts: 36
    Hi swisssue,

Have you ever tried rosebud geraniums(very tight rose like flowers), long season,good trailer.

John
  • Tomatoes and Strawberries in the back, fuchsias and petunias for the front.

Loving the idea of strawberries in the hanging basket, I might actually get to eat some this year, my son ate all of them last year image  Suppose I should be glad, really, as normally it's a battle to get him to eat anything other than pizza, chips or chocolate.  Daren't show him the chocolate pizza you can buy from firebox, he'd never eat anything else ever again!

• I can't wait to get my summer baskets started

Hallo John/Jazzy2, thanks for the tipimage. Have just looked them up on Google, they are very pretty. Will have to see if they are available in Switzerland. I do have a basket with hanging geraniums, a red and white striped one and a dark burgundy, they look really great together in one basket.

flowering rose, I'm still curious to know what the new small clematis are called?image

• Swiss Sue. Unwins.co.uk do them. I haven't tried them out myself, only seen them advertised.Filigree, Picardy and Bijou.

• Jazzy2Jazzy2 Posts: 36
    Hi swisssue,

I also like trailing begonias (peaches and cream) sold by most of the online/seed catalogue companies which produce a mass of flowers and stunning baskets all summer long, the small corms can with care be dried and stored in the autumn to be used again year after year, or for what they cost just buy new.

Regards

John