Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Ideas for replacement shrub needed

We are chopping down this big fir tree from beside the fence as it's hideous (amongst other reasons!) and need ideas for a replacement shrub or robust climber. We want something around 6 - 8 ft tall to provide privacy and screen out the neighbours shed. Preferably fast growing (ie we don't want to wait 5 years). It is west facing so will get full sun at the top but partial shade at bottom. Soil is dryish although that could be due to fir tree currently sapping the moisture. Here is a pic of how it is at present: 

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

If you're looking for an evergreen, because of the neighbouring shed, you could try a Choisya. The golden one 'Sundance'  will appreciate a little break from full sun. They're a bit slower than the standard green variety but will give you a burst of colour even if the flowers are a little less vigorous. The green one has nice scented flowers and may be more suitable with the other shrubs around it though. Escallonias are fairly quick growers. Most have pink flowers but the white one is very nice and will work with any colours you already have there. If it doesn't have to be evergreen, a buddleia will be happy there and provide a good framework over winter. Grows quickly and just needs pruned in spring really to give you the stems for the new flowers. Great if you want flower power, and lovely scent too.

Hope that gives you a couple of ideas to start with image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • ozwigozwig Posts: 22

I am in a similar situation to Greennfingered finch, only the area i have is much larger and has been continated with conifer debris for about 30 years. Ime not looking paticularly at evergreens and ive not done a PH test yet. I would like to put an apple tree in one area but unsure it it would work in that soil. Any ideas anyone ?

Hi ozwig - it may be better to start a new thread with a specific title like 'suitable area for an apple tree?' or something similar,  as you might get missed on this thread.

I'd be inclined to avoid an apple tree because the ground will be so depleted, and therefore won't benefit a fruiting tree much. You'd have a hard job getting the ground in good shape I think  image

Thanks fairygirl, i fear you could be right, it will be a long job i think, For the time being i'll let nature take its course and see what natural re-generation does, should be interesting

What was your favourite Verd? Bus Stop? He ain't Heavy?...image

Holly's a very nice choice. Slower growing though unless you get a good sized specimen. A very underrated and undervalued shrub nowadays. image

Verdun, Thinking about it, holly could be a good option, i have found several self set seedling holly bushes in the immediate area of the conifers where there was reasonable ammount of light. Now the area is clear its lighter than its ever been,so i may be in for a few surprises later.

Thanks for the replies guys 

• Fairy, sorry for delaying in response. Thank you for suggestions. However we already have all that you mentioned elsewhere in garden!! Still looking for ideas. Am I right in thinking it would be best to plant a shrub at this time of year? or does it depend what it is?

• GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,126

You could try eleagnus or pyracantha or a viburnum or hazel or cotinus (smoke bush)