London (change)
Today 16°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
11 messages
01/08/2013 at 19:08

I have a shed in full shade I am hoping to plant a climber up the side to hide its plastic ugliness a little!!!! I would like something that flowers any ideas???

01/08/2013 at 19:45

I don't know if it would take shade, but hydrangea petiolaris grows well on a north facing wall. It has pretty creamy white flowers.

01/08/2013 at 20:02

Hydrangea petiolaris is the climber for shade as it grows well on north facing sites. It gets quite big though so you'd need to keep it in check.

01/08/2013 at 21:10

As usual you never fail to give fantastic advice.i will look into it I was wondering if any clematis would like it but I don't think it would i love hydrangeas 

01/08/2013 at 21:20

There are lots of clematis that will grow perfectly happily in shade or on North facing walls etc.  The problem is choosing from the hundreds that are suitable!

01/08/2013 at 21:47

I would try Clematis Montana Ive planted them in problem areas.Ive planted them in paving flags.For a fast solution like bare walls Ive found them ideal

01/08/2013 at 23:03

Denboy I actually took a cutting off a very spectacular Montana ( with permission) am just about to pot it up so seeing as its free may give it a go!

02/08/2013 at 00:09

I know it doesn't flower but I have a lovely vine that turns bright red in autumn - it can look sensational but I'm aware it's not everybody's cup of tea as it can be quite prolific - but I have it in a large wooden tub and it grows up a trellis and hides my shed.  I read it should be in a sunnier spot but it grows well in its shady corner.  I agree too with the suggestion of montana.  I just adore it, it's a prolific flowerer and yes the climbing hydrangea definately likes a shady spot.

02/08/2013 at 09:52

Montana will get too big for a small shed.   You'll need to provide a support such as netting, trellis or wires to support a climber as they can't cling to a plastic shed but you could then go for an evergreen variegated ivy which will give year round interest and flower eventually when it's mature enough - important food for insects and birds at a difficult time of year.

There are evergreen clems too which will look better than montana in winter - cirhhosa and armandii varieties are good.    There's also honeysuckle to consider - Lonicera × brownii 'Dropmore Scarlet' is semi evergreen. Lonicera sempervirens is evergreen.   Both will tolerate partial shade so, as long as your north facing shed isn't in too dark a  corner, might be worth trying.   They are good hosts for beneficial insects and provide nectar for butterflies.

02/08/2013 at 12:03

Obelixx I am going to put some netting over the shed side..... I am leaning osedge side of a clematis as I already have a fantastic honeysuckle over the arch from the top garden into the wooded area ( makes my garden sound huge lol it's long and narrow!) will check those clematis options out!!

02/08/2013 at 13:41

Clematis will be great Stacey, the only disadvantage is that most are not evergreen, but you could always have ivy for year round cover and plant clematis nearby for spring/summer colour which can use the ivy as a support. As obelixx says, the montanas are a bit rampant so the 'usual' types would be a better bet for your situation. Loads to choose from!

email image
11 messages