Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Identification required please

Hi all,

I've attached some pictures of a couple of plants growing in my garden. I have no clue what they're called. I've taken more than one picture of each which may or may not help but hopefully will.

The first grows like a carpet up to about 8-10 inches tall and there is plenty of it. I like it as it seems to be completely hardy and just gets on with it and the bees love it. But no idea what its called.

The second grew up last year, to about the same state you can see in the pictures. Is this just a funky boring old grass? Or is it something that should flower? It didn't flower at all last year if its supposed to so I'm not sure whether I need to move it somewhere or just dig it up.

Thanks for your help, Heather x

• 4thPanda4thPanda Posts: 4,145

Hi Heather image

Don't know the top one, but the leaves look like a bulb, and are possibly bluebells.

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 17,654

Don't know the top ones, could the bottom pics be bluebells or a day lily.

• 4thPanda, the leaves on the second pic grow to about a foot tall, I perhaps should have mentioned that!. Would bluebells grow that tall? 

Snap panda, nearly trod on you image

Heather, there is a type of snowdrop with leaves that tall, mine are just in bud 

• Oh I'd be so pleased if they were some sort of lily. If only they'd flower then I might have more of a clue!

• hmmm curiouser and curiouser! It looks like I might have to hoik them out and move them when they start coming through next year and see what happens. 

Found these Heather 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

The first looks like either the white form of borage or the white form of comfrey - someone, probably Nut will know which!

As for the second - if you pick a leaf and bruise it, does it smell of anything - onions or garlic for instance?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• 4thPanda4thPanda Posts: 4,145

My bluebell leaves are quite long, possibly as long as yours Heather. Mine are the (evil, some say) Spanish variety. 

Do like the mountain bluebells image