London (change)
Today 10°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 10°C
16 messages
21/04/2012 at 21:50

Hello everyone.

I inherited this plant/shrub. It's been great but a very very fast grower.Well more rampant that fast, it hasn't really stopped growing. I'm going to get a great show anytime soon

I'm going to need to cut it at some point this year but don't know what it is.

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/6870.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

It would be really good to know what it is

Thanks

21/04/2012 at 21:52

Here's another pic of the rampant grower

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/6871.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

21/04/2012 at 21:55

Reminds me of a peony although I could be wrong. But it will have a deep tap root if it is, fleshy stalks, fast growth from fat buds in early spring, flowers may-ish (mine did) and various small shrub sizes. Resent moving and need shallow planting to flower well.

21/04/2012 at 22:06

Actually, this will sound crazy maybe, but what's its habit? Because it could pass for Clematis Montana if it climbs. The leaf colour and shape and that abundance of simple pinkish flowers on stems is strangely familiar. Also, its habit of growth from the centre of the stem reminds me of Clematis, perhaps its not a shrub at all?

21/04/2012 at 22:24

Hello Wintersong,

I do think it's some type of Clemantis, it grows, grows & climbs, rambles on to everything! The stems of the leaves are a purplish colour. This is going to be it's first year of proper flowering. It's huge. Some how some type of honey suckle is growing through.

The pictures are of it  growing over a shed. I'll have a look at Clematis Montana

Thanks

22/04/2012 at 00:48
It certainly looks like one of the Clematis Montana's,if there is a slight perfume it may be Montana Elizabeth,but which ever one it is, it can be kept in check by pruning after flowering, just enough to keep it within your limits,.........enjoy!
22/04/2012 at 05:43

I agree with Holedigger

22/04/2012 at 05:58

Cut back as hard as you like after it has flowered. I have  cut back right into a 2" thick main stem of one that had got way out of control, but that took two years get fully reestablished. To maintain the existing size and flowering you should cut back to the start of this year's growth. Next year's flowers will form on  this year's new growth so if you leave pruning till summer the new growth will not have time to ripen fully.

My favourite clematis montana is Warwickshire, which produces bronzy purple leaves that contrast delightfully with the pink flowers. The leaves remain that colour right through the summer, which is a big bonus.   

22/04/2012 at 09:48

Hello everyone,

Thanks for all your replies, It's a Clematis Montana on one of the sites I've looked at describes it as a "mile a minute" plants which is definately a good description.

Thanks for the advice about pruning/control. This time  last year its had just started over the shed. It wasn't cut back at all, it's going to have to have a trim this year though.

Any ideas of how to propagate it?

I'm experimenting with placing a few of flower buds clusters into some trays (still attached to the parent). They seem to be taking hold

Thanks again, I know what it is now

22/04/2012 at 17:05

After it has flowered it puts on new growth. In July take semi ripe cuttings. they root very easily. Google for how to take clematis cuttings, but basically, imagine a letter T with the cross piece being a pair of leaves. The vertical is the stem below the leaves. Allow 3 " of stem, and on one side use a sharp blade (Stanley knife type) to skin the bottom 1/2" of one side of the stem  to expose extra surface for the rooting compound. Cover and put them out of sunlight. They should root in eight weeks. 

22/04/2012 at 20:54

Hello Gold1locks,

Thanks a lot for this information, whilst I'm fairly confident about growing stuff from seed,I'm still bit nervous about taking cuttings. With this plant I have plenty to have a go with with out fear of damaging the original plant

When you say cover, is that with a clear bag?

Will let you know how I get on

22/04/2012 at 21:43

Yes. I use a freezer bag. I sometimes use green plactic covered wire bent into horseshoes to act as supports to keep the bag away from the cuttings, but this year I have been lazy. 

23/04/2012 at 11:21

Definitly C. Montana Rubens, rampant and gorgeous - useful to grow  other, larger flowered clematis through later in the season. The leaves remain attractive till they fall in autumn. C. Montana 'Elizabeth' has larger, flatter pink flowers, is not quite as rampant, though still achieves a good size - lovely vanilla type perfume.  It is said you cannot grow Montana in a container, though I have one in a large plastic container, rectangular, abut 20 x 14 inches, 10 inches deep, where it has been for several years.   It went in there 'temporarily' some 7 years ago, and never got moved on. It is slightly less rampant than its twin on the other side of the garden, but not much, and is currently heavily laden with buds which will open any day now given some sunshine. 

07/05/2012 at 20:19

Hello,

Thanks again for the advice & information. I feel lucky to have inherited this one

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/7414.jpg?width=512&height=350&mode=max

This is the plant if you want a screen or to cover something.

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/7415.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

10/05/2012 at 08:36

I'm pretty certain this is Clematis Montana Rubra...it'll grow to about 16 feet and it's lovely! Pretty tough so you shouldn't have any problems with it.  Hope the propagating goes well!

13/09/2012 at 19:15

Thanks to everyone, I took some cuttings in June following Gold1locks excellent advice and I'm pleased to say that some of them took and are now growing new leaves.

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/11626.jpg?width=350

No roots showing through the bottom of the pot yet. I'm tempted to just overwinter them in the pots rather than plant out now. They do go  to stick in the winter months.

Any advice/experience would be much appreciated as they have done so well so far. Thanks

email image
16 messages