Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Identify a yellow flower from a bulb

TomskTomsk Posts: 204

Can anyone tell me what these flowers are. They're grown from bulbs, with each stem ending in three or four heads that turn into yellow and red cup-shaped flowers. They look a bit like tulips, expect for having multiple heads per stem:

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..ooh, that's a tricky one... I think you best ask for the named variety on this one..

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

They're tulipsimage

Named variety is beyond me

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • TomskTomsk Posts: 204

Oh, I didn't know some varieties grew multiple flowers!

Also, my other tulips bloomed ages ago and are now pretty much finished for the year (today's heavy rain has knocked a lot of the fading petals off the stems), so I didn't expect other tulips to suddenly pop up after them.

Are these yellow ones likely to bloom later than the red ones every year, or is it just because it's their first spring?

Hard to say, but some of mine are always early and some late.  Some are still going, I was admiring some as I drove around today. Saw several Queen of Night or something equally dark

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Loads and loads of different types of tulips - just a few of them here http://www.hollandbulbfarms.com/items.asp?cat=Tulip-Bulbs&Cc=TULIPS , click on the 'more info' by each picture, and you'll see even more ..... and have you read Tulip Fever by Deborah Moggach or seen the film  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0491203/  - tulips are so interesting you can get 'hooked' image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Thanks for the links above. From that site, it looks like I may have Compostella/Antionette tulips:

http://www.hollandbulbfarms.com/itemdesc.asp?item=Compostella-Bunch-Flowering-Tulip&cat=TULIPBUNCHFLWR&ic=88208

If I knew they bloomed late, I'd have bought more! They look very nice.

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Wow, they are gorgeous and love the multiple heads and the colours.  Some of my tulips haven't flowered yet.

I am on the look out for more tulips for next year and wanter yellow or cream so these may be a possibility image

Well I have no memory of planting them. In fact, I was puzzled as to what was growing when I saw them appear after my daffs and tulips started dying off. But I'm pretty sure I bought them in Lidl. It was only when flower heads started appearing that I was sure they were new flowers and not some strange dead heads from the earlier tulips.

So if you don't buy them online in the meantime, keep an eye out for tulip 'premium bulbs' in Lidl around September. They're usually £2.29 for a small pack, or £4 for two. The same price applies to their other premium bulbs throughout the year.

Tulips don't usually persist for me but I have some deep pink almost purple ones from Aldi that are in the 4th year. I think the cheap and cheerful are worth the money

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

I have had a really good google looking for them Tomsk as the website you put the link in for is an American one, I can't find them anywhere in the UK, so will definitely pay Lidl a visit and keep my fingers crossed image