London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
1 to 20 of 23 messages
25/08/2014 at 10:42
Self seeded lovely perennial. 12 - 18 inches high. Bright green leaves spaced up stem at intevals. Pale pinky mauve flowers slightly scented. Looks rather like a geranium. I'm told it's a weed but is far too nice to remove and I now have a lovely big patch! I have a photo but don't know how to upload?
25/08/2014 at 10:44

Hi ann, To upload, click on the tree in the toolbar and work from there.

Don't try and upload an enormous picture file or it will crash/take ages. It doesn't work from phones

25/08/2014 at 10:47
Oh, thank you for that. Unfortunately I only have a picture on my android phone.
25/08/2014 at 10:59

Can you email it to yourself and then save it on a laptop or pc and upload it from there?

25/08/2014 at 11:24

Ann, would it be Phlox?

25/08/2014 at 14:06
It may be Patsy, it's very like one. But is it likely to have been bought in via a bird? I've never grown phlox and the first plant appeared as one stem rooted into the base of our front gate pier
It slowly multiplied over 4 - 5 yrs when I decided to pull it out and relocate into the back garden. It still came up again the following year though, still in it's original place!
25/08/2014 at 14:09
Thank you Dovefromabove, I will have a go - I'm not much good with technology ( too old!!).
25/08/2014 at 14:11

Rose bay willowherb??? comes in on the wind.

difficult to tell without a picture.

25/08/2014 at 15:12

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/57525.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

25/08/2014 at 15:16

ah

well done

I thinks that's Saponaria officinalis, soapwort. Possibly a cultivated variety with semi double flowers

25/08/2014 at 15:17

Hooray, I've done it!! F
Definitely not Rose bay willowherb.

25/08/2014 at 15:19

Thank you so much Nutcutlet!!  Is it a wildflower? I just love it and pick vasefulls.

25/08/2014 at 15:25

Hi Ann, a wildflower, yes. I think it was used to make soap in former times. 

I've got some growing where I don't want it, coming up through one of those yellow euonymus(es), but I can't get it started where I do want it

I don't like yellow leaves and pink flowers together

25/08/2014 at 15:47

It can be very invasive - I keep a strict weeding regime at the foot of the fence separating our garden from next doors

25/08/2014 at 17:56

what a lovely flower. I'll be adding that to the list.

Some of the wild flowers that abound this time of year look so lovely in drifts. Just got back from a very wet 4 mile dog-walk. Came across a swathe of rosebay willowherb in full seed  - looked like a cloud dotted with rosy flowers. Then saw a lovely little pure white patch of achillea standing upright in the rain - my cultivars are all mixed into the mud thanks to the heavy rain all day, so I'll be after some seed from that in a few weeks.

Also came across a well-laden wild damson - delish!

25/08/2014 at 20:32
I think it's lovely to include some wildflowers in the garden. Mine I is strictly wildlife friendly so it helps to boost the variety of plants for bees, butterflies and many insects that abound here in Hampshire. My patch of soapwort fills a bed under an apple tree and looks beautiful.
25/08/2014 at 22:19

I'll have another go at transplanting mine to where I want it this winter. I think it's a lovely flower

25/08/2014 at 23:33

You're both so lucky to have soapwort. I get Jack- by-the-hedge, white and red deadnettle and a tall slender wild one with small yellow flowers are regulars in my garden. They weave under and through the shrubbery coming and going at will   not  complaining, lovely. 

26/08/2014 at 07:06

I agree with Dove, I have it and it comes up everywhere and is almost impossible to get rid of, it has creeping roots and self-seeds too. Mine get a regular dose of glyphosate but it doesn't seem to stop them. Definitely a thug!

26/08/2014 at 08:28
I suppose it's a matter.of personal taste when deciding what to allow a home in one's garden. Personally my only real dislikes are dandelions, creeping buttercup, bondweed, brambles and nettles. They are nigh on impossible to get rid of unless you resort to weedkiller, which i won't use as I try to give wildlife a haven
Having said that, the bonus is a magnificent crop of huge juicy blackberries this year (even one or two brambles in the soapwort bed! I also leave 3 patches of nettles near the buddlias (8 of) for butterfly use.
Our garden backs on to farmland so lots of weeds blow in - I do consider them as pptential thugs. Conclusion - garden with nature when you can, there is nothing more pleasurable than sharing the garden with Mother Nature.!
1 to 20 of 23 messages