Start a new thread

1 to 19 of 19 replies

could you please help me to identify which part of the dried Calendula flower head is the actual seed. I hope I'm right in guessing it's the smaller inner circle of seeds and not the larger outer layer. 

Many thanks.

nutcutlet

calendula seeds are curly 

😂 are you saying that the lager ones on the Rt are also seeds?

nutcutlet

yes, they're the seeds. I can't see the ones on the left clearly enough to say if they are as well. 

Agree with Nutcutlet...the seeds are the larger curly bits.......not sure what the other ones are 

Advertisement

Just watched a YouTube video, the smaller ones on the Lt from the centre of the flower head are the seeds. 

punkdoc

Sorry bright star, but the video is wrong!

As said the seeds are long and curly, I have grown them for many years.

I have always thought that the seeds are the curly ones - we have been growing them ( we call them common marigolds) for decades - in fact we find that the plants self seed, so we never bother to sow the seeds - they just drop, germinate and grow in our veg patch - they are great for deterring white fly from our veg plants. No sprays used here to deter aphids, the Calendula do it for us.

Dovefromabove

Many gardening videos on YouTube are made by people who know more about cameras than plants.

They are making vanity recordings of their own inadequacies and showing them to the world. 

Dont believe everything you see on the internet ... Check the source. 

You should plant both and see for yourself........

nutcutlet
Mary370 says:

You should plant both and see for yourself........

See original post

I agree, in separate pots. Then you will know for sure and will be able to advise the next person that asks this question

B3

Last edited: 11 August 2017 08:26:33

punkdoc

One of the great problems of the internet age, is that people believe everything they read on line.

I spent half my career explaining to people, that despite what they had read, there was no magic cure for death! 

nutcutlet
Dovefromabove says:

Many gardening videos on YouTube are made by people who know more about cameras than plants.

They are making vanity recordings of their own inadequacies and showing them to the world. 

Dont believe everything you see on the internet ... Check the source. 

See original post

Are you sure they know about cameras Dove? some of them make me seasick with their waving about.

Advertisement

Dovefromabove

I didn't say they knew a lot about cameras Nut ... just that they know more about them than they know about plants 

plant pauper

There are times when I'll say "I'll look on Youtube" but if it's about plants I say "nut'll know". 

Lyn

The small curly ones on the left will grow into plants as well, they are all seeds, just some bigger than others I always collect these seeds, grow them every year. and have given several away on the seed swap. 

Make sure you leave them on the plant until they go brown, those look a bit green.