Start a new thread

1 to 19 of 19 replies

cairnsie

Hi I've just moved house and was hoping someone could identify this plant. Thanks

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j309/Cairnsie13/20160519_164117_zpskejvkc2p.jpg

Last edited: 19 May 2016 16:50:36

cairnsie

Thanks for the reply its definitely 1 plant although there may be weeds in there. its only a foot wide. Hopefully it will confirm it is gorse when it flowers

Lyn

Close up it does look like Gorse to me.

I think that might be Spanish Gorse [Genista hispanica] rather than our native Ulex. The spines are softer than those on our native Gorse and it only flowers in summer.

Advertisement

cairnsie

Thanks for the replies it does seem to look like the pictures on the internet of gorse

cairnsie

Hi the plant flowered and doesn't appear to be gorse, any ideas

Thanks

nutcutlet

can you do a pic we can see? This one looks as though it as taken through the window with reflections of blinds

cairnsie

Hopefully better

plant pauper

Cairnsie is there any smell if you crush the leaves? It might be some type of herb but I'm clutching at straws here. I thought it might be a form of Rosemary but the flowers don't look right. 

B3

it's lovely. I want one - whatever it is!

Is it some kind of flax?

Last edited: 11 June 2016 12:26:22

plant pauper

I've never seen everybody so stumped. 

nutcutlet

Linum, linseed, flax

Ex bird seed if you didn't plant it

Advertisement

cairnsie

Yeah it definitely looks like flax looking at the internet. Thanks for the help ive been searching all over the internet and couldn't find a match

plant pauper

Cheers cairnsie. In case you hadn't guessed I'm in Norn Iron! 

I've seen a field full of it near me, absolutely stunning and I nearly crashed my car gawping at it.  Wish the farmer at the end of my garden would grow it.