Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Ids please (revisited!)

Rob LockwoodRob Lockwood Posts: 380

I've confused everyone with misnumbering / naming pictures in my previous post, so have stripped down the requests to those I don't think have been fully-confidently IDd!

Here goes. For the middle one (pond plant - not the duckweed and the frogbit!)
I've had a suggestion from Ladybird4 that it's Water Hyacinth - just wanted a second conf as it's one I was going to buy!

Thanks all!

:

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Is the pond one Thalia dealbata?

• BizzieBBizzieB Posts: 885

If it's growing upright like this

pointed leaves, strong stem, the flowerhead grew as shown covered in tiny blue flowers - 

I don't know what it's called either  image but lovely  to look at.

• BizzieBBizzieB Posts: 885

Oh thank you Phillipa image  I'm always asked and feel foolish as I didn't  know.  Going to make a label!

Just checked the images and can see how good larger clumps look. Mine suffered from that late frost, has brown edged leaves, cut of the worst and it's recovering.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Yes - water hawthorn is exactly as you describe philippa. It's a lovely plant - had it in a previous garden though it didn't survive more than  couple of years image

However, think the OP has been told water hyacinth imageimage

Doesn't look right for that though. Think fidget has the right ID. Don't they get a bit big? image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Rob LockwoodRob Lockwood Posts: 380

Hmmm, one of the leaves is sticking out of the water and one laying flat on top of it.  I'll keep an eye out as the thalia grows to 4ft and the pond's about 60cm deep...

No takers on the land plants then?  Maybe I need to wait for flowers to see if the first one's goldenrod or the michelmas daisy and to give people more to go on with the last one, which seems to have stumped the GW forum!

Thanks all

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Sorry Rob - think we all got carried away re the pond plant! 

I don't recognise the other two at all - I don't grow Golden Rod or the daisies -  but there are lots of far more knowledgeable people here than me so I reckon someone will help at some point. Flowers will definitely assist an ID image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...