London (change)
Sat 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
21 to 33 of 33 messages
02/10/2013 at 12:23

All you can do is rie in the growth you don't want on the window. You can cut Honeysuckle back as hard as you want. We have had to do one of ours back to 6 inches from the ground and it is now back up to 30 feet again, in a season!

02/10/2013 at 12:26

Flowersfb, can you not tie it back somehow until it's finished flowering - nice to keep the summer going for just a bit longer

If you want to give your honeysuckle a good sort out you can cut it right back in the late winter/early spring - otherwise just give it a tidy up when it's fnished flowering. 

02/10/2013 at 13:27

OK my attempt at quiz question ;

The most important thing about your gardening tools is:

a. Remembering whom you loaned them to. b. Remembering in the spring where you left them in the fall. c. Remembering whom you borrowed them from. d. All of the Above

A Bud is:

a. A regular guy. b. A regular beer. c. A small swelling on a plant from which a leaf or flower grows.

True or False

Aloe is a friendly greeting exchanged by neighborhood gardeners.

I'll get my coat....

02/10/2013 at 13:50

Thanks for your help everyone re the honesuckle - can't tie it back much - have 

already tried that  - so I'll cut it back when it stops flowering, just to be safe!

02/10/2013 at 13:54

Curiousity made me look at this thread.   Thought it might involve politics or similar.  

Well, it's different.  Looks like fun   

02/10/2013 at 18:36

Mrs. Garden  I usually find my secateurs in winter when the beds are bare! I have 4 pairs, 2 are missing at the moment  Of course, it could be OH!

I'll confirm that honeysuckle can be cut hard back. Trouble is, I don't always get round to it then there is a messy load of dead black twigs in the middle.

04/10/2013 at 10:39

Hello everyone, a new gardener here,I have recently moved and gone mad with the gardening, Ibought some gladi bulbs, freesia and montbretia I planted them in pots they have all got long leaves and the glads have got long blooms but they are like in a papery sheath and have not quite burst out all the others are the same, could anyone explain why?  There are a lot of snails and slugs in the garden thats the reason for pots. I am disappointed but undeterred. thanks.

04/10/2013 at 10:46

Hello  No need to be disappointed Jill, the glads will open up soon, from the bottom up - I'm sure you'll be very pleased with them. 

Don't forget to water them, producing flowers takes a fair bit of moisture, and make sure they're getting some sunshine 

04/10/2013 at 10:51

re missing secateurs. Mine spent 2 years under a compost heap. OH renovated them and they lasted until they found themselves at the far end of the shredder. After that they were beyond OH's renovation skills 

04/10/2013 at 10:58

I keep finding teaspoons in the compost heap.... they go in with the teabags via the kitchen compost crock.

04/10/2013 at 11:18

Can the teaspoons be renovated fb? The ones my son put in the coal bucket (as a toddler not the 40+ he is now), were never really suitable for kitchen use having passed through the stove

04/10/2013 at 11:51

Stainless steel teaspoons.  I give them a go through the dishwasher and they're as good as new. (I have a bosch one. It doesn't grumble as much as the old one used to)

04/10/2013 at 13:02

I take it that's the machine you're talking about fidget...

email image
21 to 33 of 33 messages