London (change)
Today 15°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
14 messages
13/01/2013 at 08:36
Is anyone growing busy lizzies now? I grew a few last year from my,own cuttings and they were disease free. Also growing new Guinea varieties. Busy lizzies are perfect for a couple shady spots in my garden but it looks like this option will now not be available. Anyone growing. Sunpatiens? How do they compare?
13/01/2013 at 09:38

I grew Divine last summer and they were good

Pam LL x

13/01/2013 at 09:49
I've not heard of those. Will look them up thanks
13/01/2013 at 12:28

Grew new guinea last year -sunpatiens a few years back-there didn't seem that much difference between the two

I see that all the mail order companies-like Jersey Plants-are still offering "ordinary" impatiens seedlings/plugs-but the price seems to have risen by £3

Lyn
13/01/2013 at 12:38
I grew the so called diseased waleriana from seed last year but kept them in the conservatory, where they are stil blooming, I bought some New guinea plugs from which I have now got loads of cuttings.
13/01/2013 at 13:33

I am going to try growing impatiens and begonia from my own seed this year has anybody got tips/ do's and dont's

13/01/2013 at 13:34
Hiya lyn. Do you take new guinea cuttings and place in water or pot on? Always did ordinary ones in water?
13/01/2013 at 13:43
Colin Atkinson wrote (see)

I am going to try growing impatiens and begonia from my own seed this year has anybody got tips/ do's and dont's

You need to mix the seed with fine sand as it is tiny to get an even distribution-do not cover with compost- although a light covering of vermiculite is fine-it needs light to germinate and bottom heat.

13/01/2013 at 13:59

Thanks sotongeoff I will try that

13/01/2013 at 14:22

I've just purchase Begonia Semperfloren seeds from ebay and they are pelleted seed/pills which make it so much easier to sow. I have bought seeds from here before and they grow really well.

13/01/2013 at 18:06

I always grow Impatiens Waleriana bought as plug plants from Jardin Express here in France, but 2 years ago I grew a very pretty double one and from August/ September all the leaves fell off. We went on holiday to Italy and I saw all the leaves had fallen off the impatiens there too. Last year I grew the single ones as usual and they did well and were healthy. The price has gone up by 1€ for 35 plugs.

I buy plugs because when I grew them from seed they grew very slowly and weren't ready when I wanted them to be ready.

13/01/2013 at 20:29
Verdun wrote (see)
Hiya lyn. Do you take new guinea cuttings and place in water or pot on? Always did ordinary ones in water?

Hey Verdun, I dug up a new guinea this autum to over winter and took a few cuttings in water on the window sill. They still look healthy after 8-10 weeks but not a sign of a root yet. As I recall, the old busy lizzies rooted in water quite quickly so I dont think this is going to work with this type. will try some in 50/50 compost and perlite and let you know how it goes

13/01/2013 at 20:52
Thanks ceris, that's what I thought. Your cuttings would have shown roots by now. Yes please. I would like to know how cuttings do in compost. I used to root masses of cuttings of old busy lizzies and make hanging basket "balls" all of one colour. Cheap and they looked good all summer. Would cost a small fortune now if I used plugs.
Lyn
14/01/2013 at 09:12

Yes, in a pot of water on the kitchen window sill Verdun. They rooted so quickly, I couldn't believe it! every one rooted. I then potted into compost and they are now in the cool conservatory. I didnt try do any straight into soil, as I read in a mag to do it in water.

Lyn.

email image
14 messages