Start a new thread

1 to 14 of 14 replies

Is anyone growing busy lizzies now? I grew a few last year from my,own cuttings and they were disease free. Also growing new Guinea varieties. Busy lizzies are perfect for a couple shady spots in my garden but it looks like this option will now not be available. Anyone growing. Sunpatiens? How do they compare?
Lilylouise

I grew Divine last summer and they were good

Pam LL x

I've not heard of those. Will look them up thanks
sotongeoff

Grew new guinea last year -sunpatiens a few years back-there didn't seem that much difference between the two

I see that all the mail order companies-like Jersey Plants-are still offering "ordinary" impatiens seedlings/plugs-but the price seems to have risen by £3

Lyn
I grew the so called diseased waleriana from seed last year but kept them in the conservatory, where they are stil blooming, I bought some New guinea plugs from which I have now got loads of cuttings.

Advertisement

I am going to try growing impatiens and begonia from my own seed this year has anybody got tips/ do's and dont's

Hiya lyn. Do you take new guinea cuttings and place in water or pot on? Always did ordinary ones in water?
sotongeoff
Colin Atkinson wrote (see)

I am going to try growing impatiens and begonia from my own seed this year has anybody got tips/ do's and dont's

You need to mix the seed with fine sand as it is tiny to get an even distribution-do not cover with compost- although a light covering of vermiculite is fine-it needs light to germinate and bottom heat.

Thanks sotongeoff I will try that

donutsmrs

I've just purchase Begonia Semperfloren seeds from ebay and they are pelleted seed/pills which make it so much easier to sow. I have bought seeds from here before and they grow really well.

Busy-Lizzie

I always grow Impatiens Waleriana bought as plug plants from Jardin Express here in France, but 2 years ago I grew a very pretty double one and from August/ September all the leaves fell off. We went on holiday to Italy and I saw all the leaves had fallen off the impatiens there too. Last year I grew the single ones as usual and they did well and were healthy. The price has gone up by 1€ for 35 plugs.

I buy plugs because when I grew them from seed they grew very slowly and weren't ready when I wanted them to be ready.

ceris hughes
Verdun wrote (see)
Hiya lyn. Do you take new guinea cuttings and place in water or pot on? Always did ordinary ones in water?

Hey Verdun, I dug up a new guinea this autum to over winter and took a few cuttings in water on the window sill. They still look healthy after 8-10 weeks but not a sign of a root yet. As I recall, the old busy lizzies rooted in water quite quickly so I dont think this is going to work with this type. will try some in 50/50 compost and perlite and let you know how it goes

Thanks ceris, that's what I thought. Your cuttings would have shown roots by now. Yes please. I would like to know how cuttings do in compost. I used to root masses of cuttings of old busy lizzies and make hanging basket "balls" all of one colour. Cheap and they looked good all summer. Would cost a small fortune now if I used plugs.
Lyn

Yes, in a pot of water on the kitchen window sill Verdun. They rooted so quickly, I couldn't believe it! every one rooted. I then potted into compost and they are now in the cool conservatory. I didnt try do any straight into soil, as I read in a mag to do it in water.

Lyn.