London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 15°C
4 messages
15/06/2012 at 10:04

hello im looking for ideas for a shrub for my front garden in light shade only getting drect sun late afternoon my soil.is moist/clay.  Im looking for one that spreads up to 200cm but growing no higher than 140cm.  I want one with flowers (scented would be nice) and have no issues with thorns.  I would also like it to grow dence and be hardy. I would be grateful for ideas dont know alot about shrubs thanks for your time.

15/06/2012 at 11:49

You could have a look at choisya - it likes clay, doesn't need tonnes of sun, is evergreen, dense, easily prunable to whatever size you want to keep it and is also known as mexican orange blossom for its scented flowers. You might want to put in two next to each other to get the spread. 'Sundance' is particularly nice in shade - its a golden variety but stays true lime green in shade.

15/06/2012 at 12:10

I have a shrubby potentilla, variety 'moonlight'. Very hardy, very tolerant of weather and soil conditions, flowers - though not scented - are in evidence during Spring Summer and Autumn. It's about 1m high and 1.5m wide but took a few years to get to that size. It's not evergreen, but I really like it. 

17/06/2012 at 13:14

thankyou for you for your  imput i decided to go for a choisya 

email image
4 messages