Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

In the Green

Hi Guys

I took advantage of the T&M snowdrops in the green offer and would love to naturalize them through my lawn, having looked online how to go about this the only way i can find is planting bulbs and overlaying the turf, obviously i can't do this when they are in the green, do i have to remove a piece of turf and plant them individually? Any help would be gratefully appreciated..

Davie-S

• Well, I don't know but what about cutting a small circle / slash and kind of squeezing it in? It won't matter if you leave a patch bare of grass it will soon fill in or you could seed it.
  • I think I would cut irregular shapes from the turf, pop the snowdrops in and re-seed with a mix of grass seed, compost & sand mixed.  It depends how proud you are of your lawn, and if you are prepared to have a few holes in it for a while.  Ether that or use a weeding knife to remove a small plug of soil & turf, and drop the bulb in.  That does seem a lot of hard work though.

• Apparently, if snowdrops are planted in the lawn, the area where they are planted cannot be mown til around mid-June, to allow them to die back, and mowing has to stop in early September because they will have started to grow, so this has to be considered. They must be planted at the same level as they are in the pot, with the leaf at soil level just where it starts to go yellow. This seems to mean that you will have to strip back a bit of turf before planting and bring the soil level with the grass with a bit of extra topsoil if necessary.They should be planted just after flowering so that they find it easier to avoid drying out.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Plant them no more than 3 at a time, make a slit in the grass, ease it open, drop them in and tread it back. I don't know where you live Gardening Grandma but mine have gone brown long before June and don't appear til well into winter. But I would plant in grass but not in a 'proper lawn'. that you'd need to start mowing early.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

Snowdrops will have disappeared well before mid-June as will most foliage of spring bulbs-don't where you are getting this information from but it is clearly wrong and confusingimage

You can safely mow when they have died back-which will be in around 6 weeks or so-and they wont be poking through in Septemberimage

• Try Growsonyou.com, Geoff.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802
    Gardening Grandma wrote (see)

Try Growsonyou.com, Geoff.

Why?-my information is correctimage

• Thanks guys, the slit in the grass thing makes things a lot easier, i was thinking of taking plugs from grass back-fill with sand and a little compost pop the snowdrop in and bobs your uncle, it's not one of those immaculate well manicured lawns not with three kids and a dog running around, i've taken into account when i can and can't mow the lawn, as i live in central Scotland it should not be an issue...

Thanks again guys

Davie-S

• You just might see a different opinion there - if you are prepared to consider one. Snnowdrop bulbs are not dormant until June and start into growth in the autumn, early or late September depending on the area. Galanthus.co.uk also confirms this. I am sure that opinions vay about when mowing should take place, and little information is available on this. Do you have snowdrops in your lawn? - if so, your experience is of value, since information is hard to come by.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Snowdrop bulbs may not be dormant til June but the leaves are brown and can go. They start stirring in early autumn but don't show above ground so early

In the sticks near Peterborough