Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Inspiration needed - small trees for large half cider barrels

CidermillCidermill Posts: 25

hi all,

we have 4 large half cider barrels in our courtyard and for the past couple of years I have planted them with bedding plants and did a bit of an experiment with cut flowers.

However I would really like to plant them up with something more permanent and I really like the idea of perhaps small trees with perhaps some bulbs for spring colour etc.

They are set out as two pairs which frame French doors and they are in a south facing courtyard that gets baked by the sun all day except early morning and late evening. its reasonably sheltered and we are in Cornwall so fairly mild.

i would say they are about 2ft6 in both diameter and height.

i would like some sort of combination that provides interest all year, preferably with flowers or fruit at some point but happy to consider any recommendations!

thanks in advance image

• OldtykeOldtyke Posts: 155

A mediterranean fan palm?

• Rosie31Rosie31 Posts: 483

I don't know if it would be happy in a barrel, but my all time favourite tree for year-round interest is an amelanchier.   Stunning white blossom in spring, nice black berries, wonderful autumn colour, and it keeps its shape quite nicely.

Someone more knowledgable than me will be able to say if a barrel would be Ok for it...

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,065

Watch the Beechgrove repeat on Sunday morning BBC2 to see what Chris Beardshaw does with some fruit trees kept small by regular root pruning and t'other chappy planting fruit trees on dwarf rootstocks.

You could plant your cider barrels with fruit trees such as apples, pears, cherries selected to cross pollinate each other and have blossom and foliage and fruit over 3 seasons.   Under plant with hardy cyclamen to extend the interest through winter and early spring.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • CidermillCidermill Posts: 25

The fan tree looks nice oldtyke, will put that into the mix

rosie31 thanks for that suggestion I have never heard of that, I will do some research to see if suitable for container

oblixx Is that last Sunday's show or tomorrow's? I like the idea of cyclamens

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,065

This Thursday's show so tomorrow morning.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato