London (change)
Today 18°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
1 to 20 of 30 messages
05/06/2012 at 00:47

I am just learning to grow foxglove flowers so that the bees will come to my area. Can anyone tell me from the time after there are not flowers how to make the seeds? Also, the rain broke the stems and I had to cut them. Will I be able to get the seeds? If so how?

05/06/2012 at 01:04

Unfortunately there aren't any seeds for you to collect unless the plants have flowered and then set seed themselves, which it is most probably too early for.

05/06/2012 at 01:08

Foxgloves should self sow  around your garden if you leave the flower stems on, you will see new plants come up with oval shaped leaves that are furry or slightly rough and green. They will grow to about palm size by winter time. Leave them bee (haha) and they will do all the work for you next year getting much bigger in the spring and flowering next year to begin the cycle all over again.

Flower stems that are broken will only produce seed if the seed has had good time to ripen which I doubt is the case. The shops will sell packets of seeds or some folks here generously offer spare seed as and when they have some.

05/06/2012 at 01:22

The plants did bloom all the blooms were gone. I was trying to let them open to make more. The rain broke the stems, so I am unable to make the seeds? or can I hang them to dry and still make the seeds?

05/06/2012 at 06:33

Whether foxgloves will self-seed depends on the soil. I'm on a clay soil and foxgloves rarely self-seed. Foxgloves actually love to grow on loamy banks which have excellent drainage.

Foxgloves are really economical to raise from seed. Raising from seed is a bit of a hassle because foxgloves are bienniel, so you need to sow the seed this year (now), and overwinter the plants, before they flower.

But you get a vast number of seeds in a packet of foxgloves. The majority of seed packets, of other flowers, seem to contains tens or possibly hundreds of seeds. Packets of foxgloves seem to contain thousands of seeds. All of which could germinate, potentially. If you just want one or two plants next year, then you could buy small plug plants for about £1 each, early next Spring.

05/06/2012 at 10:06

@Sam1024, Foxglove seed can actually be sown fresh so you could try extracting seed into a tray. Don't overcrowd them though, its important to give them air and leave somewhere in dappled shade, out of strong sunlight.

05/06/2012 at 15:12

they will self seed.. or leave one flower head to seed.. i grow them fesh every year to fill in any gaps.. one pack of seeds go long as they so tiney and loads of them

just remember they are poisonous.. so wash hands after touching them.. do no rub eyes are htey can cause blindness the nice man at the hospital told me

08/06/2012 at 21:15

Thanks everyone for all of the answers. Now that I have heard that they are poisonous I will put the new plants into the woods and allow them to grow on their own. While they did grow the bees did come and I am glad they did. Now my fruit trees have fruits on them. Last year the fruit trees did not have any fruit on them. This year I can honestly say the trees are very full of fruit.

But can anyone tell me if cat or animals get hurt by this plant?

08/06/2012 at 21:36

Lots of garden plants are poisonous to some degree - just be sensible, don't eat anything you don't know is edible, and wash your hands after working in the garden.  Remember that these plants have been growing in gardens for hundreds of years and the human race hasn't been wiped out yet.  Lots of the plants have medicinal uses - foxglove's latin name is digitalis and it is still used to make medication for some heart conditions. 

Rhubarb leaves are poisonous whilst the stalks are edible. The seeds of potato plants are also poisonous but we don't remove potato plants from our gardens! Daffodils are poisonous to cats, but amazingly cats and daffodils continue to coexist in many gardens.

In my experience pets that are used to having the free run of the garden are unlikely to eat toxic plants.  Cats that do not have access to gardens may develop the habit of eating houseplants and in doing this they may eat something poisonous.

08/06/2012 at 22:11

If the main stems broke there us a chance that the plants will put up several shorter flower stems and flower again in a few weeks' time, so don't dig them up yet.

30/05/2014 at 11:36

What has eaten my foxglove flowers before they open.never had this before.most of my flowers are during from the top down.

30/05/2014 at 11:44

Slugs and snails?

30/05/2014 at 13:08

My foxglove self seeded and I have some lovely plants growing this year, which I hope will flower next year . The only problem is, is that they have self seeded in the wrong spot, does anyone know if I can move them?

30/05/2014 at 13:16

Yes, dig them up and move them now while they're small.  They'll appreciate plenty of space so plant them about 18" apart.  They'll die down and disappear in the autumn but fear not, they'll reappear in the spring and a year from now they'll be beautiful 

30/05/2014 at 13:19

Great thank you!

18/06/2014 at 14:02

Hello you green fingered lot :0 My foxgloves have flowered and all flowers have fallen off and left with bare stems, what do i do now? leave them, cut them ? Will they produce flowers again next yr?

18/06/2014 at 14:12

You might get some survive to produce a few flowers, but they're biennials really. Let them seed, or just let one of them seed if you want the space. 

10/08/2014 at 18:51

I have grown some Foxgloves from bought seed, pricked them out into pots and now they are quite sturdy plants. Should i plant them out now before the winter or let them overwinter in their pots and plant them out in the spring ?

10/08/2014 at 19:30

Plant them out now butterfly6.  They are as tough as old boots and will survive anything the winter can throw at them.  Planting now will allow them to grow a more substantial root system and will result in taller flower spikes next year.

10/08/2014 at 19:52

I grew some from seed this year too butterfly. Just like Bob says,getting them in the ground now will give them a better start for next year. I've noticed already how much mine have come on 

1 to 20 of 30 messages