London (change)
Today 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
7 messages
07/06/2012 at 13:16

Bought a pot of Iris Confusa from an open garden last weekend, can anyone let me know where to plant them and what to expect them to look like in maturity?  Any information would be great.

07/06/2012 at 15:54

This is also known as Bamboo Iris. The "bamboo" like stems eventually lie flat and root forming a clump, It has white or pale blue flowers with yellow or purple spots on them. It flowers in mid spring. Moist soil in full/part sun should do nicely. They can grow up to 90cm. This plant is toxic. Hope this is of some help to you Seaside Oldie, and good luck. 

07/06/2012 at 15:57

Thanks Lainey J, will await next spring with baited breath!  Am a sucker for a plant I've not heard of, one of these days will have to call a halt to the impulse buy!  Also got an Agave Americana at the same place, total bargain at £8!  Where is it going in my cottage garden?  I have no idea.

07/06/2012 at 15:58
And they do sprawl about. I had to get rid of mine, swamping too many other things and with relatively short (but pretty) flowering time.
07/06/2012 at 16:02

Will try them in and amongst other plants same height to get (hopefully) a longer period of colour in that part of the garden

07/06/2012 at 16:32

I also got rid of my Iris Confusa, as it spreads and takes over quite qickly.    It has very pretty iris flowers, but rather small ones and they don't last long.

25/09/2013 at 20:16

Got rid of mine too as swamped everything around it. Foliage becomes very untidy before flowers open which is a disadvantage. Grew mine very successfully in full sun and well drained soil.

email image
7 messages