Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Iris Pseudacorus

ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

I have a yellow flag iris living in my pond that this year produced a pod of seeds. These dried out and I've taken them off the plant now: all brown and crispy.

Unfortunately I can't find much in the way of information on germination (so I'm guessing its not that easy). One website seemed to suggest three months on a piece of moist kitchen roll in the fridge so I am trying that. It didn't suggest when to do this but since I'm guessing the cold fridge is to over winter them I'll keep my toes crossed now is deemed acceptable. 

Does anyone have any words of wisdom? I've still 20 or so seeds awaiting sowing so am happy to experiment with other ways to germinate them. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I'd sow them in a pot now and leave them outsideimage

They germinate all around my garden with little regard for soil moisture and have been known to flower on a dry bank. They are not difficult. They also spread like mad and within a few years will make a bid for world domination

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

Mine are making a bid for lake domination. I swear they've moved about 2 m further into the water this year, and lots of clumps where there were none a couple of years ago.

Might have to don the waders and delve in.

Devon.
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    They spread very well by rhizomes. Might be a mistake to encourage them. Their flowers are very fleeting. They will also puncture a pond liner.

They will germinate very well au natural, they don't need human intervention!! IMO there is no information on germination because it is sooooo easy!
  • ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

Thanks all. I've just found a website that says its "impossible" to germinate these and they only grow through splitting a plant yearly.... which makes you wonder who the devil is out there writing articles as though they are knowledgeable?! Now you can see why I much prefer to ask you guys! Even Verdun is more reliableimage

As for puncturing the liner: I've a fibreglass pre-formed solid liner so I'm not too worried about that being damaged. There's also little soil in there that's not in fixed pots for anything to grab hold of (and the fish seem intent on eating all the fresh vegetation so no signs of rhizomes yet).

Nutcutlet: interesting to hear they will take hold anywhere as they'd look lovely in the wild area around the manshed.

But as Welshonion  said, they have a very short season, as most irises do, maybe all, and no second flowering. 

Fortunately a short season matches my attention span!

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,065

Be careful what you wish for.  I was given a few of these plants when we dug out our new drainage pond which is about 7m by 4m.   It made a orld takeover bid so OH went in in his waders and puled it all up along with the bullrushes and the cows in teh pasture next door had a fine autumn feast.

I've had a couple of difficult years unable to garden cos of various surgeries and in that time they have come back and almost terraformed our pond.  It is on our list of jobs to get the lot out.   

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato

Obelixx: whatever I wish for I rarely get, so here's hoping! The three that have been in there a year and some have not made any signs of growing / spreading. 

I thought in the interest of education (and should anyone else be googling these plants) I'd update this thread.

SEPTEMBER

24 of my seeds received three months in a plastic pot kept moist (not yet) in sand in the fridge.

24 of my seeds went straight into moist compost and were plonked in a sheltered area of the garden.

6 of my seeds twanged off my potting bench at high speed never to be seen again

JANUARY

My fridge was emptied and my 24 chilly seeds put in moist soul. They then joined the others in the garden.

MAY

Not counting chickens yet but there are four whisps of life in the fridge pot. Nothing yet in my au natural pot.

What can we deduce so far?

Well if you know of a plant that could be granted weed status give it to Clarington if you don't want it to grow ;)

Early days but it will be interesting to try and keep a little log of these going on for your amusement.