Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Iris Reticulata. Gordon Fletcher

BiljeBilje Posts: 811

I bought the above bulbs in the Autumn and planted them in a terracotta pot about 5inches deep. They flowered and looked lovely, a deep purple colour. Is it worth keeping them for another year. I do this with many bulbs either keeping them fed and watered OR planting them into a border. However I'm sure I've read somewhere it's not worth keeping iris reticulata as they don't usually flower in future years. Any ideas comments

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Carol klien said they dont flower again in this country, something about them needing to be baked in the sun. I am going to put mine out in the garden, nothing lost is there, worth a try?

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

They do re-flower but gradually diminish for me. Some groups are down to one flower this year so that's probably the last I'll see of them

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

They last a few years for me, but as Nut said, they do gradually diminish - as Mike suggested, try placing them in a sunny spot and crossing your fingers image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

Agree with nut. I keep mine, give them  ahigh potash feed and then put the pots somwhere the bulbs can dry out, and hopefully bake. I have a few pots that have been going 3 or 4 years, but they do diminish over time.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

Mine just keep coming back every year

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Same as nut an pd,mine come back but they do diminish over time. I bought some last autumn and they have only just finished flowering - one pot is still looking good -and I've thoroughly enjoyed them.  They are pretty inexpensive and easy to grow, and provide a beautiful display at the end of winter, so worth every penny when they need replacing.  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • BiljeBilje Posts: 811

Thanks everyone, I wouldn't have thought about letting them bake so I'll give that a go. I have a tendency to think all bulbs are similar. I love Specie tulips, have a lovely crop of T. Turkestana ? Which I grow in terracotta pots, I let them dry out last year, and they are currently giving a good show with small white almost bell like flowers I know I'd lose them if I planted then in the garden whereas t Tarda does well. 

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

The 'sun baking' is for the larger summer flowering types Bilje. They're rhizomes as opposed to bulbs, and are planted on the surface of the ground rather than being buried like a bulb is. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • I have just bought some lovely dwarf iris 'Katherine Hodgkins' from Dunham Massey, where they have them in their splendid winter garden. I have planted them in the garden - will they not flower again or is that just the taller irises that we are referring to here?image

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

Some of mine are Katherine Hodgkin and these come back every year, planted in ordinary soil, not particularly well drained.