Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Is anyone else planning their spring tulip displays yet?

Hi, I love tulips so I've decided the best way to beat the September blues when my youngest starts school next week is to get planning for next spring.

I've listed my favourite tulips in my blog post with lots of pictures from my garden and other gardens I've visited, and why each variety is special to me...

https://dogwooddays.net/2016/09/02/banish-the-september-blues-with-my-top-10-tulips/

Do fellow gardeners grow these varieties and what other special tulips would you recommend to add to my constantly growing list?

Thanks folks image

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I love tulips but they don't love our climate so I only grow them in pots and they disappear after a couple of years. I intend getting some orange ones for this year,  for the new 'hot border' to go with the maroony/pink Ronaldo ones I got last year image

Similar effect to your picture d.wooddays

Last edited: 05 September 2016 18:25:53

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Oooo I like Ronaldo. That's a beautiful image. Ballerina for glorious orange colour. There's a lovely picture of a Ballerina 'hedge' on the blog. Good luck with it :-) 

I've had Ballerina in the past -  I'd like some of the slightly darker, burnt colours this time  image

Might get some Ballerina as well though - it does well because of the tight shape. 

• We grew Queen of the Night last winter/spring and they were lovely, see attached picture - they imagelasted well too Chloe. This year I have some new Vincent van Gogh to plant - the flowers are almost black.

Last edited: 05 September 2016 20:24:34

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

For this year Juan - orange with a yellow base

Abu Hassan - terracotta red, edged in gold.

Hemisphere - colour changes as they mature through white, ping with faint stripe and freckling. Thought they sounded interesting.

Queen of the Night usually flowers for three or four years for me as it is deeply planted.

SW Scotland
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

Hope not Chloe.

SW Scotland
  • Yes I like the smoky orange ones like Brazil and Brown Sugar, Fairygirl. And Apricot Beauty is a favourite too Chloe.

GD2 - I like Vincent Van Gogh - might have to give that one a try. And Hemisphere looks amazing Joyce21. Thanks for new varieties. Now just to try and be sensible with my orders so I don't have too many to plant later!!! ☺ 

Last edited: 05 September 2016 22:00:35

I've just ordered lots of species tulips and alliums so I think I'll have to be very restrained about buying any of the bigger varieties this year!

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

My favourite combo is ballade (pink with a white edge) along with white triumphator .....but this year I am thinking of trying out some purples, based around Rems favourite.

Must get my order in soonimage

• Love Rems Favourite - very similar to Zurel which I grow and is pictured on the blog. I just can't resist purple flowers :-) 

Last edited: 06 September 2016 08:46:48