Start a new thread

1 to 16 of 16 replies

Hi, 

I'm new to gardening and going to ask a bit of a silly question perhaps! 

Is it ok to plant plants in autumn / winter or should i wait till spring / summer?

I don't want to kill anything if we have a frost. Should I leave the plants I have already bought in their plastic pots till better weather.

Thanks.

It depends on the plants really - what have you got?

Hostafan1

With container grown plants,so long as the ground is frozen solid, or waterlogged, you can pretty much plant at any time of year.

As raisingirl suggests, some , more tender plants, might need a little TLC over the winter.

Obelixx

Most gardeners think autumn is best as the soil is still warm and the plants are dormant above soil and that gives the roots a chance to settle in and develop in time to support the upper growth spurt in spring.  If it freezes, they'll certainly be better in the ground than in pots.

That said, if your plants are frost tender, they need caring for thru winter in a frost free shelter or else in teh ground and with a cloche or some fleece.   Depends what you have.

Dovefromabove
Hostafan1 says:

With container grown plants,so long as the ground is frozen solid, or waterlogged, you can pretty much plant at any time of year.

As raisingirl suggests, some , more tender plants, might need a little TLC over the winter.

See original post

Think Hosta's made a typo there ... I'm sure he meant to say so long as the ground isn't frozen solid

Advertisement

Fairygirl

Hosta ....d'oh!  

I like planting things out at this time of year, as spring ground is usually too cold and soggy. As the others have said, it's only more tender things that need a bit of protection. Small/young plants are better kept sheltered over winter too, and allowed to grow on a bit before putting out next year,  as they would struggle with soil and weather conditions and often succumb to that, or slugs and snails etc. 

Borderline

Autumn planting tends to suit plants that are very hardy and enjoy damp and cool conditions. Another thing to consider is soil type. Normally, it's not recommended to plant in autumn time if you have very heavy clay soil. Plants normally find it hard to settle once the cold sets in. If you have very small plants, like plug plants or the next size up from plug size, also not a good idea to plant in autumn time. It's better to wait till spring where they tend to establish better.

As others have mentioned, it depends on which plants. If you are unsure, list some of the plants you have, and I'm sure many will give you their recommendations.

thanks for all your replies that's really helpful! The plants i have are...

- Gunnera

- Eucalyptus Tree

- Fatsia Japonica

Fairygirl

Gunnera and Fatsia will be fine planted now. Fatsias are quite happin heavy ground - they wouldn't have survived in any of mine if they weren't!  As long as you prep the ground well, adding some compost etc to give them a chance to settle in, and as long as they're in at least a 6 or 7 inch sized pot, they should be no problem. Gunneras do need a bit of protection over winter, depending on the type of weather conditions you have in your area. The crown can be damaged by frost, so you would need to be aware of that - especially with a newly planted specimen. If you're unsure, it might be better to leave it till spring.

The addition of leaf mould or well rotted manure is beneficial for both of them if you have it. 

Eucalyptus (is it the common gunni one?) are pretty tough too. Nice well drained soil for them, so again, just prep the ground well before planting. 

Thanks Fairygirl. We've got pretty sandy soil, so I'd definitely need to add compost. 

I might leave the gunnera till spring to be on the safe side.

thanks for replying.

Fairygirl

Good luck with them Stephanie - the Gunnera and Fatsia are nice big statement plants, and great foliage on them.

Although the Eucalyptus can get huge, they're nice when given a hard prune each year as you get the best of the foliage colour  

Steve the Gardening Vet
Dovefromabove says:
Hostafan1 says:

See original post

Think Hosta's made a typo there ... I'm sure he meant to say so long as the ground isn't frozen solid

See original post

Oh, I don't know. I'm quite the fan of using my pick to clear a bit of permafrost to pop a teeny plant into!

Anyone know the plant mentioned on Friday's GW ... Philictrum ??

Looks beautiful 

And can I buy it at this time of year?

Fairygirl

From your guess Jo - I'm going to say Thalictrum?

You might struggle to get it in GCs just now, depending on their stock, but you'll get loads of nurseries online who may have it. 

If that's the right plant pf course! 

Advertisement

Thanks so much for your help I've now ordered this beauty online,😀