London (change)
Today 26°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 28°C / 18°C
11 messages
14/02/2013 at 14:22

Currently overwintering on a cool window sill, one of my pelargoniums looks "different". It has been "mother" to several cuttings over 3 years but there are no green stems now, only woody ones. The leaves keep on coming but are tiny. I pinch these off but no sign ofany new green stems.  Is it time to throw it away?

14/02/2013 at 14:31

How about letting the little leaves grow bigger and then using a leaf as a cutting. I have successfully got a new plant from just one leaf in the past.

Lyn
14/02/2013 at 14:45
Sounds like the end for that one, I don't use mother plants for long, cut from your new cuttings for next years plants.
14/02/2013 at 14:51

Thank you Lyn and Cottage Garden Fairy. Will do both suggestions and bin the old plant.

14/02/2013 at 18:52
I take my.cuttings from new plants. It makes them bushier and these cuttings seem to have lots of energy, prob because they are virus free. Plants are old at 3 years and on the wane so best discarded (gosh! Lucky we dont do that to people or I guess I would be discarded too)
14/02/2013 at 21:38

And me too Verdun!

15/02/2013 at 00:21

Verdun if you take cuttings they will be just as virus-lanen or virus-free as the 'mother'.

Perhaps if Susan's pelargonium was fed it would look better. Cuttings will grow bushier, perhaps because they are grown in new soil.

15/02/2013 at 07:04

It's hungry  Take it out of the pot, shake off as much soil as possible and repot it in fresh compost - I find pelargonioums like John Innes No 2 but any good general purpose compost will do.  It will soon become reinvigorated - I know of pelargoniums that have gone on for years and years - they do need feeding though!

15/02/2013 at 07:38

Wait for the warmer weather as well as cutting the stem back, if you have not done that already. Even though I have heat in my potting shed, many of my pelargoniums are bare, due to the intense "damp and continuing".  Feed it/them and maybe spray the stem/s weekly and I am sure it/they will grow leaves. Some of my plants are decades old and still flower and give good cuttings.

Good Luck!

15/02/2013 at 08:57
Despite my stated views that pelargoniums are best when young, not too far from me.....westwards to Penzance.....a huge pelargonium was trained to cover a whole cottage wall. Probably 20 feet by 15 feet. It was a sight to behold. Think it's gone now though. Inspired by this, I have grown one outside on a wall for 3 years or so. I think the old wood on pelargoniums is susceptible to viruses and diseases and the flowers less impressive on older plants.
15/02/2013 at 09:37

All responses are impressive,many thanks to all. Will spend some more time on "mother" and see how things go!

email image
11 messages