London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 15°C
1 to 20 of 21 messages
08/06/2014 at 09:43

Just replied to a thread about mahonias and surprised to read they can be invasive.  Anybody experienced this?  

08/06/2014 at 09:49

Not in my garden. In fact we lost 2 of them in the hard winter a couple of years back. The surviving ones are still just single stem shrubs after 18 years.

08/06/2014 at 09:56

Not found them to be invasive here Verd. Perhaps it depends on soil type. Wet and clay up here which normally suits them too. 

08/06/2014 at 10:47

They will grow larger and spread a bit - as do most plants if they're happy where they are and we treat them nicely - if you heave them untended for 20 years in a good spot they might form a small thicket - I wouldn't call that invasive - in my humble opinion that's just 'growing'.

08/06/2014 at 10:56

Dove - that reminds me of what my Mum used to say about the privet hedge. She said to me one day 'your Dad  cuts it but - I don't know, it just keeps growing again.'  I had to laugh.  ' Mum - that's kind of what plants are designed to do'..... 

08/06/2014 at 11:10

I thought they only pupped when the roots are disturbed. So if you want it to spread, keep digging around their roots. My Mahonia Charity is in deep shade and looks great - in other gardens in full sun they look terrible.

08/06/2014 at 11:23

You're right blairs - they really suffer in too much sun don't they? 

08/06/2014 at 11:26

Hi, just googled it - very nice plant ! I need one for a very shady spot, and this just fits the bill then. Will it grow in a pot ?  

08/06/2014 at 11:37

That is right Fairygirl, they go red and spindly with very few leaves in full sun. Mine in deep shade is deep green and glossy and looks like a different plant.

They can grow in pots Flora Rosa as long as you keep them watered.

08/06/2014 at 11:48

There's a huge one where I work - north facing area but quite open so it gets quite a bit of sun. Loads of other shade loving planting around it - Camellias, Skimmias, Rhodies, Pieris etc.. Lovely deep green as you say and it flowers like nothing else in winter. 

08/06/2014 at 17:07
Fairygirl wrote (see)

it flowers like nothing else in winter. 

They have no scent for me apart from a faint honey smell.  Some people cannot smell Freesia (or so am told) for me it is Mahonia.

08/06/2014 at 17:53

Although the Blackbirds raid my Mahonia for the seed, I confess I've never yet come across a seedling.  In this and previous gardens, I have never found it invasive......in some instances, anything but.

08/06/2014 at 17:57

Great, know what my next purchase will be   Bought a rose shrub yesterday on strength of reading all the posts about roses hehe. Have had one in the sunken patio but I keep tending it (inherited it from previous owners and we've been here ten years now!) and it's just a long stem with a few leaves. I said would never get another but have succumbed.  

08/06/2014 at 18:02

Flora rosa............"said would never get another....."........Kiss of death..........once you even start thinking about it, you KNOW you are going to get one come what may

08/06/2014 at 19:07

Well, you all seem to think as I do....mahonia is not invasive.  Googling it produced something  different though

08/06/2014 at 19:19

For me Googling found a variety known in the US as Leatherleaf Mahonia which is invasive in the US - don't think the garden cultivars commonly grown in the UK are like that.

08/06/2014 at 19:27

There are several species of mahonia, Mahonia media and Mahonia japonica both form an upright shrub, and are the varieties most commonly used in gardens. Mahonia aquifolium is a shorter, spreading shrub which does send up shoots all around, and can be a bit more troublesome. Also called Oregon Grape.

09/06/2014 at 11:52
Potsandpansies wrote (see)

There are several species of mahonia, Mahonia media and Mahonia japonica both form an upright shrub, and are the varieties most commonly used in gardens. Mahonia aquifolium is a shorter, spreading shrub which does send up shoots all around, and can be a bit more troublesome. Also called Oregon Grape.

Spot on!

Mahonia japonica is what most of us have - the US Mahonia (a decent evergreen shrub but Holly Osmanthus gives the same foliage effect with more elan) is a different species and is the invasive one.

09/06/2014 at 12:14

the mahonia Verdun refers at the beginning of the thread proved to be aquifoliium not japonica when the photo was posted.

09/06/2014 at 12:27

mahonia dosnt mind being cut back quit hard

1 to 20 of 21 messages