Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Is my conifer doomed

nodlisabnodlisab Posts: 414

This is a photo of my conifer that has suddenly turned brown,can it be saved or should I cut it down?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Part of the lawsons cypress on the front is doing the same thing. Its only on  late cut surfaces. Currently I am assuming it was trimmed too late last year, and new growth got damaged. The brown bits seem to brush off and there is new growth underneath. How about yours?, does the brown bits brush off?

• nodlisabnodlisab Posts: 414

Thanks figetbones, yes the brown bits do brush off and there is a bit of green underneath.I have 2 of these and I trimmed them about 6 weeks ago but the other one isnt affected ( see photo ) so I thought this one might have some kind of decease.

• Hello there, personally i would think that it may not recover, i know someone that grew other things up the shrub to cover it such as ivy and clematis etc, but wouldnt you rather get it out and grow something nicer, it does look like it has got a bit large for the planting area as well, but if you like it for the birds that nest etc, (which the blackbirds loved in mine),  then do grow things up it, hope this helps. image

• Mark 499Mark 499 Posts: 380

I'm afraid that in will not recover from that, I had a hedge that went the same, even though  new growth was visable it just got worse over time.

• Nicky NickyNicky Nicky Posts: 76

I too think its a lost its will to live. I have had two conifers do exactly the same for no apparent reason. And currently have another looking like it’s going to turn and do the same. That’s the problem with a hedge once one goes it all looks terrible image sorry to bring bad news. Good news on the other hand is you get to put some new plants in there image

• nodlisabnodlisab Posts: 414

Thanks everyone for your input,sadly it looks like it will have to go.