Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Is this an Escallonia?

keepitlivekeepitlive Posts: 102

Good morning, forum members

On a recent visit to Felley Priory in north Nottinghamshire, I saw the shrub pictured below, but forgot to ask it's name.image

I think it might be an Escallonia. Can anyone positively identify it please (including the variety)?

Thanks

• MuddyForkMuddyFork Posts: 435

Not sure that it is an Escallonia, the leaves look wrong. It could be a fuschia

• keepitlivekeepitlive Posts: 102

Thanks, Gardenmaiden and MuddyFork.

GM, reading the description of E. 'Donard Radiance' on the RHS site, it describes the leaves as 'relatively large and rounded', but in the accompanying photo, the leaves don't look either large or rounded, so I'm confused (nothing new there!).

MF, yes, there is a look of Fuchsia about it - now I'm even more confused.

• keepitlivekeepitlive Posts: 102

Sorry, all. Just to prove how confused I really am, I posted the same comment twice (now changed to this admission).

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Desfontainea spinosa?

• Fuchsia bogstandardus or is it ordinarious?image

• MuddyForkMuddyFork Posts: 435

If you are an RHS member you can send them a bit for identification free of charge.  The like to see leaves and flowers

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I think it's a fuchsia, maybe thymifolia or another similar species 

If you enlarge and look top right you can see a seed pod. 

Hard to tell in a photo but in reality fuchsia has a much softer look and feel than escallonia

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

The leaves are like little holly leaves though.

How about Mitraria coccinea?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Hi fidget, I just need to give it a squeeze then I'd knowimage

Have you had a look at beginner 14's plant? It's too late, he's dug it up. But  I do like to know

In the sticks near Peterborough