Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Is this poison ivy?

Hey everyone! I am new to the site but looking forward to being a member!

We just bought our first house last year and I'm so excited to start gardening :)

However, first, I need to get rid of all the poison ivy on this dang property! (The sellers of the house seemed to let this place become overgrown with EVERYTHING for, say, the last decade or so.)

Right after we bought the house, I was doing some yard work, and I got poison ivy so bad, all over my body, that I had to go to the hospital and be put on prednisone! NO FUN!! 

So it needs to be gone! However, after much research, I still am not confident that I can identify it well and I don't want to go around 2 acres killing everything with three leaves.

Please help if you can :)

Is this the stuff?

Or this?

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,697

Hi Nicoliosis5,

Welcome.

This isn't a plant we get any experience of in the UK (thank goodness.....unless someone is thinking of introducing it as an ornamental) so it is difficult to advise you. I personally would go the paranoid route and kill off everything that looks as though it might be the dreaded plant. You can't be too careful.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

What country are you in?

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,883

Hi Nicoliosis. It doesn't look like poison ivy - leastways the image I have seen online - but it does look like kudzu.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • CeresCeres Posts: 2,697

Which part of the US are you in?