Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 23 replies

Does anyone know If this is ragwort or a plant, my husband says its ragwort but really we don't have a clue , we are just learning the gardening game,  It has grown in my pile of topsoil and I have a few growing around the place, any advice would be really appreciated. 

Hostafan1

Euphorbia amygdaloides

I dont know what it is but it isnt ragwort. Sorry i cant help further than that x

Green Magpie

Just enjoy it. It's not ragwort, it's just a really pretty euphorbia, and it won't become a pest. If it ends up in your flower beds, it looks wonderful against blue or purple flowers in Spring.

Busy-Lizzie

https://www.agric.wa.gov.au/sites/gateway/files/ragwort_0.jpg

This is ragwort for future reference, poisonous. Really bad for horses, Grows on grassland. Wear gloves when you pull it up.

Advertisement

pansyface

It does pull up very easily.

nutcutlet

I need to keep some for the cinnabar moth caterpillars

We have to do a ragwort pick in our field most years, no sign yet but masses of thistles

Ragwort is rampant down here.  Apparently the cinnabar moth in this country cannot control its spread effectively.  

The ragworth has many different stages, if you can pull it out when it is at the rosette stage in it's first year it's better as it doesn't get a chance to seed. When we pull it from the fields it's always covered in the caterpillars and I feel bad taking it to burn but it's so dangerous for horses it just has to be done.

Fishy....lovely looking plant but give it a home in your garden and you will be weeding forever.

Green Magpie

Ragwort is very poisonous to horsesand cattle. If you have it on your land, you have a legal duty not to let it spread to grazing areas, so rural gardeners should take care. The seeds are wind-borne, so I wouldn't want it in my garden as we are quite close to farmland.

Having said that, there's a big field nearby that is waste land (disused private allotments); I believe it's now owned by a pension company who are hoping that one day they can sell it for development. It is now full of ragwort (and cinnebar moths) but is just across the road from open farmland. No one attempts to control or manage it.

@Green Magpie

Horses will not eat live ragwort unless they are starving as it has an extremely bitter taste. There is no general legal duty on anyone to control the growth or spread of ragwort. For more information see http://www.ragwortfacts.com/

Green Magpie

Well, the actual legislation states that if there is a medium or high risk to nearby livestock, there is a legal obligation on the landowner to put in place a policy to control ragwort. This is in the Code Of Practice in the 2003 legislation.

Regardless of the law, I would prefer not to risk poisoning my neighbours'  livestock, or introduce ragwort to fields that I know are used for hay and silage, which can become contaminated by ragwort.

Advertisement

@Green Magpie

The "actual legislation", which you have not read, states nothing of the sort. The Ragwort Control Act 2003 merely inserts a clause into the Weeds Acts 1959 that permits the Secretary of State to provide guidance. There is no statutory duty on anybody to have any regard to the guidance.

1. I'm pleased it's a plant then I have a few growing about thank you everyone 

Great I have loads of spaces to fill and I have about 5 of them growing out my pile of top soil I will start digging them up 

WillDB

Probably Euphorbia polychroma (or maybe the slightly bigger palustris), both of which are non-spreading and extremely nice Euphorbias.

I beleive animal husbandry legislation requires owners of livestock to ensure that there hazards of which ragwort could be considered one are controlled on their own land, but there is nothing to require neighbouring landowners to control it, although it is generally accepted that it is good practise to.

Having pulled ragwort as part of a summer job (used to use some land adjacent to a stables and it was part of the agreement they hadwith my employer) personally I pull any I see in the garden.

Need to be a bit careful pulling ragwort in the wild as some species are protected.

Looking up Hostafans suggestion - you might not want it as a plant even though it's not ragwort:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/details?plantid=2923