London (change)
Today 16°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 8°C
1 to 20 of 46 messages
22/08/2013 at 21:32

Although not a huge fan of dahlias I have to confess to an increasing  fondness for them this year.

I have, I suppose, more than 20 growing in pots or in the garden and this year they have all been superb.  Some of them are new to me.  They have produced flowers for few weeks now and prob will do so right through to October or November

I used to think them too gaudy,brash and ungainly  but I am coming to appreciate them a little more now.

Dahlias?  Love em or hate em?

22/08/2013 at 21:39

Used to hate them,memories of large earwig infested flowers,but have come to really like them over the last few years.

I don,t know if this year has been ideal weather for them,but as with Verdun,s this has been the best year for blooms.

22/08/2013 at 21:45

Planted dahlias for the first time this year, 2 Bishop of Llandaff.  Not really been a fan but these were half price tubers so have them a go and must admit these ones are nice.  Doubt I'll ever have a garden full but will definitely over winter the tubers and replant next year.

22/08/2013 at 22:27

I've discovered that they don't have to be ear wig magnets but if you buy single flower varieties they are bee magnets. have planted 4 this year, 3 from seed and the Honka shown elsewhere on forum.

Considering Bishops next year.

23/08/2013 at 00:01

Matty, consider The Bishops Children.  I grew this selection from seed few years back to get same purple/dark folkage but with yellow, orange and various red colours.   And twynings After Eight......this has almost black foliage and white,flowers.  Very nice

23/08/2013 at 07:19

Never had any earwigs on my dahlias, in fact haven't seen any at all here this year.

23/08/2013 at 07:20
http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/29754.jpg?width=277&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/29755.jpg?width=277&height=350&mode=max

Can anyone tell me what the pink one is called it sould be bishop of Leicester but obviously a bit of a mix up when packed

23/08/2013 at 07:24

Lovely, little-ann, don't they bring a smile to your face!

23/08/2013 at 07:27

Indeed they do 

23/08/2013 at 07:30

I have grown Dahlias this year - did do once a few years ago. But I will grow them again as I have a white one that is attracting so many insects that it's a beautiful sight, I have a pink one that is not attrating any insects. I wonder why they only like the white one Sorry, I don't know the names as I lost the labels The white one has numerous flowers with a lovely yellow centre and each one always has a black addition of a bee and hover flies constantly surround it!

23/08/2013 at 07:38

my singles have lots of insects but not the pink frilly thing although it is a nice flower i planned to have only singles

23/08/2013 at 07:51

little-ann, it is my 'pink frilly thing' that has no insects on it either - don't like that one as it looks like something out of an old Victorian painting - somber!

23/08/2013 at 08:26

I love Bishop of Llandaff. I grow it in the main veggie bed in amongst the tomotoes and leaks. It's obviously appreciating the liquid feed it gets once a week as it's 4ft tall and smothered in flowers. Definitely a keeper!

23/08/2013 at 08:35

What a display little-Ann!

I gave up on dahlias when I lifted all mine, spent ages rinsing them off and drying them, stored them in the shed in compost/vermiculite mix, and by spring had lost the lot (25 tubers) to rot!!  What did I do wrong?

i have a couple this year (llandaff and moon fire) that I will risk leaving in the ground over winter.

verdun - like the sound of bishops children - do you get plants big enough to flower that summer from a sping sowing?

23/08/2013 at 08:36

Hiya emma

Got the bishop flowering in the foreground With Acer flamingo seemingly on top of it from my kitchen view.  

Nice collection there little-ann.  

23/08/2013 at 09:44

Verun, I always used to think dahlias were soooooooo 1970's, but since I went to the Harrogate autumn flower show with my Dad 2 years ago, I've fallen in love with them. The vast array of forms, colours and sizes make this plant one of the best in my opinion. 

23/08/2013 at 11:41

first time for me i am hopingto keep them over winter for next year and take cuttings

i was a bit chicken about planting them in the ground because of slugs so all in pots 

23/08/2013 at 12:41

Thanks for that suggestion Verdun. How tall do Bishops Children grow?

23/08/2013 at 13:47

Chicky,,sorry missed your question earlier.  Yes, seed sown in early spring produced flowering plants by the summer.  You will have all dark foliage but variations of flower,colour from yellow to,orange to red.

Matty, fhe "children" seem to be just as tall as the Bishop" generally or bit shorter.  

Little-Ann, you know you can keep,your plants over winter inthe greenhouse?  They should have formed tubers by summers' end

23/08/2013 at 15:41

thanks verdun i grew them fom tubers. i am having a new greenhouse it has in fact been delivered but OH cant put down new base until the toms have finished in the old one, i hadnt considered keeping them in pots over winter would that be better than drying and storing ? or did you mean drying and storing in the greenhouse  i was going to put them in the cellar because i dont heat the greenhouse and OH says they will freeze in the shed

1 to 20 of 46 messages